Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report and reaction: Barnsley 0-0 Robins

16 March 2024

Match Reports

Report and reaction: Barnsley 0-0 Robins

16 March 2024

The Robins earned a valuable point against promotion chasing Barnsley, holding the Tykes to a 0-0 draw at Oakwell.

Both sides had their chances throughout the 90 minutes but the Town defence stayed resolute late on to take a point back to Gloucestershire.

"It was a well-earned graft and point, the lads defended the box well and it was a tremendous effort to come away with a point.

"We had a few chances and on another day we might have picked up the three points." 

Despite a lot of control from the hosts in the early stages, it was the Robins who had the first sight at goal after just two minutes.

A long ball upfield was headed down by George Lloyd to strike partner Aidan Keena on the edge of the area but his well hit volley drifted just wide of Liam Roberts' goal.

The hosts would have the ball in the back of the net just moments later, only to be foiled by the linesman on the near side's flag.

It was Corey O'Keeffe who met the enticing free-kick but up went the flag to spare Town's blushes.

Quickfire chances from Nicky Cadden and John McAtee followed shortly after but neither of the Barnsley attackers could bring Robins keeper Luke Southwood into action.

He would be needed moments later however as the shot stopper got down well to hold Jamie McCart's volley from the penalty spot.

Later in the half it was Keena that had the Robins' best chance of the opening 45 minutes when he brought out a brilliant save from the flying Roberts.

His powerful strike looked destined for the bottom right corner but Roberts' strong hand was enough to turn the effort away from goal.

The last big chance of the first half went the Robins' way too, as Lewis Freestone rose to head Will Ferry's free-kick toward goal. But Roberts was on hand once again, this time turning the effort over the bar.

Into the second half and the Robins were nearly gifted the lead by the in form Roberts. Ferry's deep corner caused trouble and the Tykes number one miscued his punch toward goal, luckily being saved by teammate Mael de Gevigney on the line.

It became a cagey affair after that as neither side were able to really to get a foothold in the contest.

The hosts did come close just under 10 minutes from time but substitute Devante Cole's header went goalwards but wide of Southwood's far post.

Barnsley's last chance to snatch a late winner came deep into added time, but Corey O'Keeffe's free-kick was kept out by Southwood to ensure the game ended goalless.

BARNSLEY (3-4-1-2): Roberts, de Gevigney, McCart (Williams 80), Earl; O'Keeffe, Russell (Grant 71), Connell (C), Cadden (Cotter 80); Phillips; McAtee (Marsh 80), Cosgrove (Cole 57). Subs not used: Killip (Gk), Benson

CHELTENHAM TOWN (3-5-2): Southwood; Smith (Bradbury 64), Davies, Freestone; Long (C), Pett (Thomas 73), Kinsella, Sloggett (Bonds 64), Ferry; Lloyd, Keena (Nuttall 73). Subs not used: Pardington (Gk), Sercombe, Harrop

REFEREE: D Middleton

ATTENDANCE: 12,056 (202 from Cheltenham)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account