Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report and reaction: Wycombe Wanderers 2-0 Robins

27 February 2024

Match Reports

Report and reaction: Wycombe Wanderers 2-0 Robins

27 February 2024

The Robins fell to a late 2-0 defeat on the road to Wycombe Wanderers at Adams Park on Tuesday evening.

Goals in the 86th and 89th minute from Joe Low and Beryly Lubala brought Town’s four game unbeaten run to an end.

Luke Southwood was a shining light for the Robins with string of saves including one from a penalty kept his side in the game, but it wasn't enough to see his side go home with any of the points.

“There are no complaints from me, we were miles off in our performance,” said manager Darrell Clarke post-match.

“All game we were miles off, searching for answers and I was searching for answers on the sideline.

“We never felt comfortable, Wycombe were miles the better team and we got what we deserved today.”

From the first whistle the hosts were on the front foot with Kieran Sadlier’s clipped free-kick being met by the head of Ryan Tafazolli which drifted wide.

Two minutes later Sadlier raced through on goal only for his shot to be well saved by Southwood’s strong left hand.

The chances kept coming as Joe Low headed over from close range before Sadlier’s low effort was blocked by a flying Curtis Davies before Southwood had to ensure it went the correct side of the post.

Davies’ clearing header from the resulting corner fell to Dale Taylor whose sweet volley rattled the crossbar, sparing the Robins' blushes.

That dominance from Wanderers continued into the second half and not long after the interval, referee Peter Wright awarded the hosts a penalty after Jack Shepherd handled the ball in the area.

However, Southwood once again thwarted Matt Bloomfield's side as he saved Freddie Potts’ spor kick down to his left.

The Robins responded with four substitutions and offered more threat with Matty Taylor’s free-kick being deflected over moments later.

Southwood was again called into action when he quickly got down to his right, this time to deny Garath McCleary's ferocious strike from the edge of the area.

Unfortunately, the Robins’ resistance was broken four minutes from time as a corner wasn’t cleared and fell to Low who volleyed it past Southwood.

Three minutes later one became two as substitute Lubala unleashed a right footed curling effort from outside of the box into the far corner, giving the superb Southwood no chance.

WYCOMBE WANDERERS (4-2-3-1): Ravizzoli; Grimmer, Low, Tafazolli, Leahy; Potts (Scowen 69), Butcher; McCleary, Taylor (Lubala 82), Sadlier (Wheeler 69); Vokes (Kone 82). Subs not used: Shepperd (Gk), Lonwijk, Kodua.

CHELTENHAM TOWN (3-5-2): Southwood; Davies, Shepherd (A. Smith 78), Freestone; Long (c), Sercombe (Thomas 55), Pett, Bonds (Kinsella 55), Williams (Harrop 55); Lloyd (Keena 55), Taylor. Subs not used: Pardington (Gk), Nuttall


ATTENDANCE: 3,477 (233 from Cheltenham)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account