Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report and reaction: Cambridge United 0-1 Robins

10 February 2024

Match Reports

Report and reaction: Cambridge United 0-1 Robins

10 February 2024

Matty Taylor’s strike secured a crucial three points for the Robins with a 1-0 win against Cambridge United at the Cledara Abbey Stadium.

Chances came and went in the first half with Luke Southwood standing tall on numerous occasions to keep the scores level at the break.

Then 20 minutes into the second half Taylor fired one across Jack Stevens in the U’s goal to send the 207 Town fans wild.

“The Derby game and the Bolton game I thought we were excellent and should’ve come away with something, said assistant manager Ian Baraclough post-match.

“I thought we were a little bit off it last week so a perfect response to what could’ve been a tricky game as Cambridge have been on a good run.

“It’s when you want your keeper to stand up, make big saves, he’s (Southwood) done that and it’s as much as him scoring the winner as Tayls (Taylor).”

It was Cheltenham that began on the front foot with George Lloyd’s effort sailing over and Jack Shepherd heading wide in an otherwise scrappy beginning to proceedings.

The hosts started to find their feet in the game, whch resulted in Lyle Taylor rushing through on goal but Southwood spread himself well to deny the U’s striker.

The Robins thought they had taken the lead on the 25th minute as Shepherd’s long ball forward picked out Taylor and after a nice touch and turn, his square ball found Lloyd in the six yard box to steer in, but the linesman’s flag was raised.

The U’s responded with Jack Lankester twice bearing down on goal but twice Southwood denied him with sprawling saves.

After the interval and the Robins started that second half like they did the first on the front foot with Will Ferry’s whizzed ball across the face of goal evading the oncoming Lloyd.

A near miss followed at the other end as Lankester this time opted to go round Southwood but his cut back failed to find a teammate in amber.

Minutes later the Robins capitalised on their spell of pressure with Ferry picking up on a loose ball in Cambridge’s defensive third before slipping in Taylor whose strike thundered in off the far post.

Neil Harris’ response came in the form of four substitutions and one of those, Macauley Bonne, spurned two fantastic chances from close range within minutes of each other before the Robins held out for a massive three points on the road.

CAMBRIDGE UNITED (4-2-3-1): Stevens; L. Bennett (Bonne 70), R. Bennett (Ibsen Rossi 70), Morrison (c), Andrew; Digby (Thomas 70), Cousins; Lankester (Brophy 70), Kachunga, Kaikai; Taylor. Subs not used: Mannion (Gk), May, Gibbons.

CHELTENHAM TOWN (3-5-2): Southwood; A. Smith (Bonds 73), Davies, Shepherd; Long (c), Sercombe (Harrop 90), Pett, Kinsella, Ferry; Taylor (Nuttal 77), Lloyd. Subs not used: Pardington (Gk), B. Williams, Thomas, Keena

REFEREE: B Atkinson

ATTENDANCE: 7,047 (207 from Cheltenham)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account