Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report and reaction: Bristol Rovers 1-1 Robins

9 December 2023

Match Reports

Report and reaction: Bristol Rovers 1-1 Robins

9 December 2023

A battling encounter from the Robins saw Darrell Clarke’s men earn a 1-1 draw against Bristol Rovers at The Memorial Stadium.

Will Goodwin put the Robins in front on the 28th minute mark after a dazzling run and assist from George Lloyd.

Rovers equalised early in the second half through Jack Hunt at the back post in the 50th minute.

After the well-fought affair, the result leaves the Robins five points from safety in League One.

Following the game, Robins boss Clarke said:

“The pleasing aspect for me is that the changing room is disappointed we didn’t win the game, which is good sign.”

“It’s a credit to the boys, they didn’t chuck in the towel, they didn’t roll over, a draw was probably a fair result.”

The Robins first real chance came from a Liam Sercombe corner just over 20 minutes in, as he found the head of captain Sean Long who headed just over.

Cheltenham then opened the lead, as a brilliant run from Lloyd down the right flank saw him knock it past the defender and put it on a plate for Goodwin who tapped home into an empty net, scoring in his third consecutive game and claiming his fifth goal of the season.

Rovers came close to an immediate equaliser from a corner as former Robin James Wilson headed just wide of the far post.

The Gas had their best opportunity of the first half through James Gibbons as his curling strike was brilliantly tipped just wide of the left post by Luke Southwood.

Clarke’s men were asking for red after a rash challenge from Hunt by the corner flag stopped play, but the 33-year-old only received a yellow.

With the second half underway, a golden gift was presented to Chris Martin eight yards out, only for his effort to be skied over.

Rovers found their equaliser just moments later however as Hunt squeezed it past Southwood at the back post following a low ball across the Robins box.

The Gas got into their stride as a mazy run from Jevani Brown saw his strike fly over the bar.

Cheltenham’s first chance in the second half came from Elliot Bonds as his quick movement and strike floated over the upright.

The Robins almost left with three points late on but Lewis Freestone couldn’t connect well with his header from a corner.

Antony Evans had a late 25-yard free kick and almost squeezed it in past Southwood but could only find the side netting.

BRISTOL ROVERS (4-2-3-1): Cox, Hunt, Wilson, Taylor, Gibbons (Grant 46); Finley (c) (Evans 55), Ward, Thomas, Brown (Collins 80), Vale; Martin. Subs not used: Ward, Sinclair, Marquis, Crama

CHELTENHAM TOWN (3-5-2): Southwood, Bevan (Williams 32), Davies, Freestone; Long (c), Bonds, Sercombe (Butler-Oyedeji 65), Pett, Ferry; Goodwin (Keena 83), Lloyd (Peupion 65). Subs not used: Pardington, Hammond, Thompson

REFEREE: Craig Hicks

ATTENDANCE: 8346 (562 from Cheltenham)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account