Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Wycombe Wanderers 0-3 Robins

29 April 2023

Match Reports

Report: Wycombe Wanderers 0-3 Robins

29 April 2023

Two goals from Aidan Keena and a Alfie May hit inbetween gave Cheltenham Town a 3-0 at Adams Park against Wycombe Wanderers in Sky Bet League One.

After being fouled in the Wycombe penalty area, Keena put the ball away from the spot to send the Robins infront before half time.

May then doubled Cheltenham's lead after a thunderous effort flew into the home sides net to give a deserving two goal cushion to Town.

Near the end of the game, Chairboys 'keeper Harvey Cartwright fumbled the ball, and Irishman Keena tapped it into the empty net to seal a memorable victory at Adams Park.

The hosts had the first foray forward, a low cross into the box was diverted towards the goal by Sam Vokes but his strike was blocked out for a corner. Dominic Gape tried his luck from outside the box from the resulting corner, with his strike too put behind for a corner.

The Chairboy's would threaten from a corner again, Ryan Tazafolli meeting the set-piece with a strong header and was left visably annoyed as his attempt flew wide.

After the early pressure, the Robins came out with chances of their own, Aidan Keena attempted somithing special, meeting a poor clearence from Wycombe 'keeper Cartwright with a volly from the half-way line.

Ryan Jackson then tested the handling of the debutant, cutting inside from the right hand side and firing low towards the near post, but Cartwright was equal to the shot.

Wade Elliott was forced into a change on the half-hour mark as Liam Sercombe was withdrawn from action due to injury, replaced by Glen Rea.

Town were inches away from opening the scoring as May caused havok on Wycombe's backline. Keena set the forward away with a perfect ball down the left, Tafazolli was able to divert the ball away from goal. May picked the ball up from a tight angle, rounding 'keeper Cartwight, but saw his effort blocked on the line by the recovering defender. 

The Robins were given an oppertunity to take the lead as they were awarded a penalty after Keena was fouled by Dominic Gape. The forward stepped up and drilled the ball with enough power into the bottom left corner to beat the dive of Cartwright. 

The Irishman had could have doubled his tally for the afternoon just minutes later. Good footwork on the edge of the box worked him enough room to curl a strike towards the came corner he scored in, but this time Cartwight was equal to the stirke, turning it around the post for a corner. 

A lively start to the second half saw the hosts look to hit the Robins on the counter attack, Gareth McCleary raced clean through on goal, only being denied a sure equalizer by a last ditch interception by a sliding Lewis Freestone.

Cheltenham would double their lead with twenty minutes remaining, Jackson laid the ball off to May 12 yards out who's thunderous strike found the top corner of the net, to take his tally up to 19 league goals for the season. 

The hosts were close to pulling one goal back, a free-kick from the right flank was floated deep towards the backpost where Chem Campbell rose highest but headed into the side netting.

Late on, a long ball forward was dropped by the Wycombe goalkeeper, and Keena was able to pounce and tap it home to seal his brace for the afternoon.

Robins XI: Southwood, Long, Taylor, Freestone, Jackson (Sambu 89), Ferry, Sercombe (Rea), Bonds, Broom, May, Keena

Un-used substitutes: MacDonald, Williams, Brown, Bradbury, Goodwin

Wycombe Wanderers: Cartwright, Jacobson (Wheeler 67'), Gape (Wing 55'), Forino, Tafazolli, Vokes, McCleary (Willis 67'), Hanlan (Ward 55'), McCarthy, Campbell (Freeman 82'), Scowen

Un-used substitutes: Stryjek, De Barr

Referee: R. Joyce

Attendance: 5,188 (391 away)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account