Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Lincoln City 2-0 Robins

7 April 2023

Match Reports

Report: Lincoln City 2-0 Robins

7 April 2023

The Robins fell to 2-0 defeat away at Lincoln City as Ben House scores either side of half time to end our unbeaten run.

Imps skipper Regan Poole had the opening opportunity of the match. The centre-back found himself up the pitch and released a strong left-footed strike that was parried away well by a diving Luke Southwood.

Great work by James Olayinka on the byline saw the Robins test Carl Rushworth early in the match. Having wriggled out of a tight spot he found Aidan Keena on the edge of the box, who teed up Glen Rea whose low drive was turned behind the post for a corner.

Alfie May was next to bring a save from the home 'keeper. Close control from a cross-field ball allowed him to create room for an effort on goal, but his strike was pounced on by Rushworth.

Caleb Taylor found himself in a dangerous position facing his goal line, having been hounded off the ball from Danny Mandroiu, he was able to stick out a leg and win the ball at a critical point, denying the forward a clean shot on goal from six yards out.

Taylor was a threat in the opposition box minutes later, winning the ball in the air from a deep freekick, he was able to set up defensive partner Sean Long, but the Irishman's shot from the top of the box was sent over the bar.

A neat one-two from Ethan Erahon and Ben House created a shooting opportunity for the hosts, but the strike was straight at Southwood who held comfortably.

The hosts took the lead with less than five minutes remaining in the first half. Teddy Bishop's strike was well intercepted by Taylor, but the ball was directed towards the goal, bringing an excellent save off Southwood but House was first to the loose ball, bundling it into the net from a yard out.

May came close to an equalizer early after the break, prodding the ball towards the goal from the six-yard box, after good work from Ryan Broom and Olayinka on the right flank. Rushworth smothered the first and second attempts from the forward after the ball fell back to him after the initial shot.

Wade Elliott turned to the bench to get the Robins on level terms, as Elliot Bonds and Will Goodwin were introduced from Liam Sercombe and Glen Rea. With Lewis Freestone returning from injury being introduced for his first appearence since New Year's Day.

The second half was far from action-packed as the first. Both defences were able to deal with the long balls forward, Taylor intercepting most of the Imp's long passes. Broom looking the most likely to spring an attack on the right flank for the Robins but was equally measured by Lasse Sorensen.

Imps sub Mide Shodipo had the first genuine shot on target in the second half, finding himself in space outside the box with no other options, he forced Southwood into a save low to his left.

House doubled his goal tally for the afternoon as he swept in Lincoln's second goal of the afternoon, resilient work from Shodipo down the right played the ball towards the penalty spot, where House was able to find the goal.

Robins XI: Southwood, Long (c), Taylor, Bradbury (Freestone 65'), Broom, Williams (Ferry 45'), Rea (Goodwin 65'), Sercombe (Bonds 65'), Olayinka, May, Keena (Brown 84')

Un-used substitutes: MacDonald, Raglan

Lincoln City XI: Rushworth (gk), Poole (c), Boyes, Jackson, Sanders (Virtue 75'), Bishop (Shodipo 55'), Erhahon, O'Connor, House, Mandroiu (Plange 75'), Sorensen

Un-used substitutes: Wright (gk), Plange, Walsh, Virtue, Duffy, Makama

Referee: A. Kitchen
Attendence: 8.178 (213 away)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account