Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Robins 0-0 Burton Albion

1 April 2023

Cheltenham Town extend theri unbeaten run to six league matches, as the points are shared in goalless draw against Burton Albion

The first action of the game came with less than a minute on the clock as Will Ferry received an early booking for a late arial challenge near the halfway line.

The early chances from both sides were from range, Ferry going closest in the opening few minutes after Aidan Keena’s persistence paid off as he set up the defender whose strike went over the bar.

The Robins were able to manufacture a half chance following a scramble in the penalty area. The visitors were unable to clear as Caleb Taylor bundled the ball towards centre back partner Tom Bradbury, who saw his effort spin round the post for a corner.

Luke Southwood was first called into action on the half hour mark as Dale Taylor ran through on goal down the Burton left, but his cut back was well anticipated by the ‘keeper who got down low to collect the ball.

Albion’s goalkeeper Craig MacGillivray was called into action in the last few moments of the opening 45 minutes, as best chance of the half fell the way of Keena who fiercely struck a half volley from 10 yards out, but the keeper strongly parried the ball out for a corner.  

Joe Powell was the first to try his luck after the break. His freekick from 25 yards out had Southwood at full stretch, but the ball saftly went over the cross bar. 

Good play from the Robins opened up their counterparts twice in a matter of moments, with MacGillivray forced into two good saves. A strong hold from a Ryan Broom shot seemed routine compared to an acrobatic fingertip save to deny Keena.

The Irish forward looked to contuinue his good form, as he almost opened the scoring in an unorthadox way. Good strength saw him battle with Sam Hughes for the ball, with the it taking several ricochets off the two players to loop onto the top of the net.

After a rather tepid 75 minutes, the game sprung into life, with both teams looking for a late winner. Both 'keepers had to be quick to react to loose balls in the area, with Southwood aiming to spring quick attacks when gaining possesion.

The Robins thought they took the lead through Taylor, who's powerful header was excellently cleared off the goal line by a Burton defender, with no clean contact on the follow up, the ball was pounded on by the greatful MacGillivray.

Both Keena and May were then inches away from putting Town 1-0 up, the Irishman curled his effort from the top of the box agonisingly wide of the post, with May going even closer towards the same corner having spun and shot after Sean Long headed towards goal.

As the additional time was annouced as three minutes, the red shirts flooded forward in search for that elusive goal. Sercombe and May both tried their luck from outside the box, but again to no avail.

The draw extends Wade Elliott's side's unbeaten streak to six matches, sitting on 45 points after 39 matches. 

Robins XI: Southwood, Long (c), Taylor, Bradbury, Ferry, Broom, Rea (Perry 72'), Sercombe, Olayinka, Keena, May

Un-used substitutes: MacDonald(gk), Williams, Raglan, Brown, Goodwin, Barkers

Burton Albion XI: MacGillivary, Brayford (c), Hughes, Powell, Taylor, Kirk (Carayol 75'), Smith (Walker 56'), Moon, Shaughnessy, Helm, Latty-Fairweather

Un-used substitutes: Amissah(gk), McCann, Carayol, Gilligan, Mancienne, Ashworth

Referee: O. Yates

Attendence: 3864 (322 away)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account