Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report & highlights: Shrewsbury Town 3-1 Robins

18 December 2021

Match Reports

Report & highlights: Shrewsbury Town 3-1 Robins

18 December 2021

Sponsored by

A number of untaken first half chances proved costly for Cheltenham Town as they were defeated at ten man Shrewsbury Town.

The home side had goalkeeper Marko Marosi to thank for an impressive first half performance as the two sides faced each other for the second time in less than a month.

Michael Duff would have been left disappointed by the nature of the goals his team conceded, as Daniel Udoh once again proved a thorn in the Cheltenham side with a brace, with David Davis also registering.

Andy Williams got a first half equaliser for the Robins, but despite playing just over half the game with ten men due to Tom Bloxham's sending off, Shrewsbury were able to claim a much needed three points.

Just like he did at the Jonny-Rocks Stadium, Udoh put Shrewsbury in front early on when he was left unmarked in the box and headed home a Bloxham cross.

The goal seemingly woke Cheltenham up and they were level six minutes later when a flowing team move ended with Liam Sercombe driving a low ball into the six-yard box which Williams touched in.

Williams was almost at it again on 20 minutes as Marosi made a crucial save to keep out his attempt at the back post.

The former Barnoldswick Town goalkeeper then mishandled Sercombe's strike from 20 yards at the start of a lively end of the first half which allowed Alfie May to pounce, but his goalbound effort was cleared off the line.

Within a minute Marosi was busy again, making an acrobatic stop to prevent Kyle Joseph from nodding in.

With five minutes to go till the break, Shrewsbury were reduced to ten men as young attacker Bloxham was given his marching orders for a headbutt on Chris Hussey.

There was still time for Crowley to force Marosi into another save before Andrew Kitchen blew for half time.

Shrewsbury were facing a huge test in the second half, but it was a 45 minutes that got off to the best possible start for them when Udoh got his second of the game when he got in behind.

Their goal allowed them to bank in and hit Cheltenham where possible on the counter-attack.

The Robins had to work opportunities where possible which was difficult against a sea of bodies, and the best chance to level came at the mid-point of the half when Williams struck the crossbar from Charlie Raglan's knock-down.

Shrewsbury substitute Rekeil Pyke forced Owen Evans into a full-stretch save, but another counter proved to be decisive in the hosts victory, as Davis broke clear and finished.

Marosi's second half was a lot quieter than his first, though the stopper did make a good save in the final minutes to hold off Cheltenham's ambitions of creating a dramatic finish.

SHREWSBURY: M Marosi, L Leahy, M Pennington, J Vela, D Udoh (R Bowman 80), N Ogbeta (A Pierre 68), D Davis, E Bennett, T Bloxham, J Daniels (R Pyke 46), G Nurse

Subs not used: H Burgoyne, S Cosgrove, C Caton, K Leshabela

ROBINS: O Evans, M Blair, C Hussey, S Long, C Raglan, L Sercombe, E Chapman, D Crowley, A May, K Joseph (C Wright 69), A Williams

Subs not used: S Flinders, L Freestone, G Horton, M Pollock, C Thomas

ATTENDANCE: 5,741 (387 Robins)

REFEREE: Andrew Kitchen

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account