Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report & highlights: Oldham Athletic 1-1 Robins

5 October 2019

Apologies, this video is unvailable.
Match Reports

Report & highlights: Oldham Athletic 1-1 Robins

5 October 2019

Sponsored by

Ryan Broom's fifth goal of the season earned Cheltenham Town a share of the spoils after another entertaining match at Oldham Athletic this afternoon.

It perhaps says something about the progress under manager Michael Duff that the result was tinged with some disappointment at the final whistle.

They were not at their effervescent best before the interval and trailed to Filipe Morias' goal inside the opening 10 minutes before losing Charlie Raglan to a facial injury.

But they were much better in he second period and a double substitution by Duff tilted the game in the Robins' favour, culminating in the equaliser 19 minutes from time.

Both sides had their chances to take all the points but on the balance of play, a point apiece was about right and the result stretched Cheltenham's unbeaten run to six.

They now have a fortnight away from league action as a result of the postponement of the match against Newport County during next week's international break. However West Ham United Under-21s visit on the Jonny-Rocks Stadium on Tuesday in the Trophy.

Duff was forced into one change as a result of an training ground injury to Luke Varney. The striker was replaced by Alex Addai, who partnered Gavin Reilly in attack. Rohan Ince made a welcome return to the bench for the first time since the opening day match at Leyton Orient but was unused on the day.

The Robins made an uncertain start to the match despite having a good chance to take the lead in the opening exchanges. They were fortunate not to concede as early as the sixth minute after they struggled to clear their lines from an early corner. However moments later a low drive by Broom was parried into the path of Addai who almost scrambled home the loose ball from close range.

But the hosts were ahead after nine minutes through Morais, who had already come up against Duff's men when he played for Crawley Town at the People's Pension Stadium the previous month. The midfielder was set on his way with a lovely ball by former Robins loanee Jonny Smith to leave him with the chance to slide one past Flinders from the edge of the box.

Cheltenham suffered another setback on the half-hour when Charlie Raglan picked up a knock to the face which ended his game. Substitute Chris Clements was subsequently pressed into action in midfield with Sean Long covering on the right of central defence and Conor Thomas dropping back into the right wing-back role.

The Robins enjoyed a lot of possession in the first period and moved the ball well, getting into some promising positions in the wide areas but they were unable to make it tell before the break.

Both sides went on to create a handful of chances during a frenetic second half.

Scott Finders was called into a low save within seconds of the restart after an uncharacteristic error by Jacob Greaves handed Desire Segbe-Azankpo a shooting chance from 18 yards. The striker was afforded another chance eight minutes later but again the Cheltenham number one denied the striker, while the home side really should have scored shortly afterwards after some sloppy place by the Robins defenders.

Duff made two changes after 56 minutes, sending on Jonte Smith (for Gavin Reilly) and George Lloyd (Jake Doyle-Hayes) and the switch did the trick, handing his side the initiative.

First Conor Thomas saw an effort cleared off the line after some great work by Addai down the left. Then Ben Tozer vollied inches over from 20 yards. Substitute Smith drew a foul to present Chris Hussey with a free-kick from the edge of the box but his dinked effort was deflected narrowly wide. Tozer's drive from distance then shaved the right post.

The pressure paid off and the Robins were deservedly back on terms 19 minutes from time, Broom meeting Conor Thomas' delivery from the right with a brilliant finish from 12 yards to give Zeus De La Paz no chance.

Oldham had a golden chance to restore their lead with 11 minutes remaining, Tom Hamer glancing his header well wide of the target after a fantastic pinpoint ball by Mohammed Maouche from the right.

At the other Cheltenham created two similarly fantastic chances of their own to snatch a late win. Lloyd had a clear chance but he planted his header wide of the right post after more good work by Broom. Next Smith headed over after a pinpoint delivery by Long.

OLDHAM ATHLETIC (4-3-3): De La Paz; Hamer, Egert (Fage 90), Wheater, Iacovitti; Morais (Adams 76), Sylla, Missilou; Smith (Wilson 77), Maouche, Segbe-Azankpo. Subs not used: Zabret (c), Smith-Brown, Stott, Eagles.

CHELTENHAM TOWN (3-5-2): Flinders; Raglan (Clements 32), Tozer (c), Greaves; Long, Thomas, Broom, Doyle-Hayes (Lloyd 56), Hussey; Addai, Reilly (Smith 56). Subs not used: Lovett (Gk), Bowry, Boyle, Ince.


ATTENDANCE: 3,496 (182 from Cheltenham)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account