Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Robins 1-1 Bury - highlights & report

5 March 2019

Apologies, this video is unvailable.
Match Reports

Robins 1-1 Bury - highlights & report

5 March 2019

Cheltenham Town battled hard to draw with high flying Bury at the Jonny-Rocks Stadium as Billy Waters’ leveller cut out Scott Wharton’s headed opener to ensure both teams shared the points in Sky Bet League Two.

Nicky Maynard thought he gave the away side the lead with 10 minutes to go, but his calm finish was ruled out for offside.

The draw see’s Cheltenham stay in 17th ahead of bottom of the league Notts County’s visit on Saturday.

Cheltenham made four changes to the team that lost 4-2 to Mansfield on Saturday, Cameron Pring, Chris Clements, Waters and Tyrone Barnett came in, whilst Chris Hussey, Connor Thomas, Jacob Maddox and Luke Varney missed out.

Bury were the first team to create a clear chance, good play on the left-hand side from Danny Mayor saw him create a crossing opportunity, he whipped the ball in, and Jay O’Shea’s strike was sent for a corner by Ben Tozer.

Scott Flinders was then called into action again, Byron Moore firing at goal from close range but Flinders kept it out.

From the resulting corner Bury found their first goal, the ball was crossed back in and defender Scott Wharton rose highest to head past Flinders.

Bury had a fair share of the chances early on, Danny Mayor causing havoc on the left wing

Ben Tozer’s throw in posed problems for Bury’ s back line, first a header from a climbing Cheltenham forward struck the bar, before a strike from Kevin Dawson went wide of the target.

Billy Waters was next to test Joe Murphy, he latched onto a through ball and struck it towards goal, but the goalkeeper scrambled to make the save.

It was Waters who pulled Cheltenham level, in the 33rd minute, a scramble in the box and it fell to the forward at the back post, he tapped home with ease to even up the scores.

Ben Tozer struck Cheltenham’s first chance of the second half, the ball came back to him from his throw in, he smashed it towards goal from 30 yards, but it was well over the bar.

Waters then came close to his second, Cameron Pring passed it into him, with his back to goal, he did well to turn and shoot, but it was well met by Murphy in the Bury goal.

Bury came back into the game with a shot from Jay O’Shea, he picked the ball up on the edge of the box and struck it towards the top corner, but despite a frantic dive from Scott Flinders, there was no need to panic as it flew over the bar.

Nicky Maynard then thought he put Bury back in the lead in the 80th minute, but his tap in at the back post was ruled out for offside after a well struck free kick fell at the forwards feet.

Cheltenham worked hard to keep Bury at bay late on, the away side dominated the play, forcing 10 corners in total to Cheltenham’s zero.

ROBINS: Flinders; Tozer, Boyle, Raglan; Broom, Pring, Dawson (Maddox 85), Clements (Thomas 75), Tillson; Barnett (Varney 75), Waters. Subs not used: Lovett, Long, Forster, Bingham

BURY: Murphy; Wharton, Thompson, O’Connell; McFadzean, Adams (Cooney 85), Rossiter, O’Shea, Mayor; Moore (Lavery 75), Telford (Maynard 66). Subs not used: Maloney, Aimson,Omotayo, Danns,  

ATTENDANCE: 2409 (317 from Bury)

REFEREE: Paul Tierney

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account