Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Full-time: Robins 1-3 Tranmere Rovers - highlights & report

12 January 2019

Apologies, this video is unvailable.
Match Reports

Full-time: Robins 1-3 Tranmere Rovers - highlights & report

12 January 2019

Three second half goals from Tranmere Rovers ensured they came behind to seal a 3-1 victory against Cheltenham Town at the Jonny Rocks Stadium.

The Robins took the lead in the first half through Luke Varney, but goals from Norwood, Miller and Banks guided Micky Melon’s side to a victory.

Cheltenham couldn’t see out their lead after a good first half where Michael Duff’s side controlled  possession.

The loss means Cheltenham remain 18th ahead of next Saturday’s trip to Carlisle United.

Returning to the starting line-up, Ryan Broom had the first early chance for Cheltenham. His attempted cross drifted towards goal and ended up hitting the crossbar, much to the surprise of goalkeeper Scott Davies.

Broom was at the heart of the action early on, fans called for a penalty when Broom went down, but the winger was booked for diving.

Tranmere then began to create a few chances of their own. First Ishmael Miller squeezed a shot through Ben Tozer’s legs from inside the box and rolled just wide, before James Norwood’s early shot aimed to catch Flinders by surprise, but the Cheltenham number one got down to it well.

Cheltenham came back, as the half went on it was the home team that looked in control. Jacob Maddox found himself on the end of a deflected through ball, he cut the ball for Broom who’s shot was blocked. It went back to Maddox, but his quick shot went wide.

 Still Tranmere came pushing for the opener, Ishmael Miller was next to be set free, through one on one with Flinders, it was the latter who came out on top with a good save to deny the forward.

But it was the Robins who broke the deadlock in the 42nd minute. Connor Thomas produced a wonderful flick through to Luke Varney and the forward made no mistake slotting past Davies.

55 seconds into the restart James Norwood equalised in front of the travelling fans, his first effort was blocked, but his second effort went straight past Flinders and into the left of the net.

Cheltenham tried to reclaim the lead from a well worked corner routine, Chris Hussey’s eventual shot was cleared off the line.

Tranmere started the second half the better of the two sides, Norwood again came close, his shot towards the top corner was well saved by Scott Flinders.

Ishmael Miller again came forward to test Flinders, this time Ben Tozer did enough to block his shot into Flinders’ hands.

Miller then got his goal, after a good piece of play from James Norwood to win the ball against Chris Hussey, Norwood hit a shot which was parried by Flinders, and Miller was there to tap home.

Billy Waters came on with 20 minutes to go, but just two minutes later Tranmere got their third. Oliver banks capitalising on a poor clearance, slotting home to Flinders right.

Cheltenham kept pushing to get back into the game, but the Tranmere defence stayed firm, Alex Addai and Waters tried to stretch the back line late on, but neither could create any significant goalscoring chances.


ROBINS (3-5-2): Flinders; Tozer (c), Forster, Hussey; Pring (Bower 77), Clements, Thomas, Maddox (Waters 70), Broom; Barnett (Addai 77), Varney. Subs not used: Lovett, Dawson, Lloyd, Alcock.

TRANMERE ROVERS 3-5-2: Davies; McNulty (c), Monthe, Ellis; Ridehalgh, Banks (Harris 77), McCullugh, Perkins, Caprice; Norwood, Miller (Mullin 70). Subs not used: Pilling, Buxton, Harris, Smith, Gilmour, Bakayogo.

Attendance: 3104 (471 from Tranmere)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account