Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MK Dons 3, Robins 0 – report and reaction

6 October 2018

Match Reports

MK Dons 3, Robins 0 – report and reaction

6 October 2018

A first visit in nearly a decade to Stadium MK saw Cheltenham Town slip to a three-goal defeat.

Two late goals coupled with a first half Chuks Aneke strike frustrated a Cheltenham side left unable to find a way through against MK Dons, who maintained their place in the League Two play-off positions.

Bristol City loanee Aden Baldwin was also worryingly stretchered off with a bad looking injury in the second half, as the Robins now face a two-week break ahead of a trip to Forest Green in two weeks time.

From as early as the third minute goalkeeper Scott Flinders was called upon to make a crucial stop after Rhys Healey broke through on goal, while Will Boyle’s excellent block would later deny George Williams’ effort.

Having managed to keep the hosts at bay the Robins forced Dons stopper Lee Nicholls into action when Jacob Maddox dug out an effort from outside the box which almost squirmed in.

Flinders kept out a similar Ryan Watson free kick effort down the other end on the half hour mark, however he was picking the ball out of his net five minutes later when the hosts took the lead.

Aneke took advantage in a crowded 18-yard box to turn and fire in to break the deadlock.

An equaliser almost fell the way of Michael Duff’s side just before the interval. Excellent build up play ended with Baldwin crossing from the right for Ryan Broom whose strike was deflected wide.

Flinders made two important saves early in the second half to deny the hosts. He firstly foiled Healey again after he burst through, while a low stop denied Alex Gibley who had drifted in from the left.

Maddox kept Nicholls on his toes in the MK Dons goal with a well-hit shot that was tipped around the post, but it was another reaction save from Flinders on 61 minutes that frustrated the home sides attempt to score a second, as Joe Walsh’s blast deflected onto Healey, only for Flinders to keep it out.

Cheltenham were still very much in the game in the final half an hour as they looked to find a way to draw level.

Duff’s side were dealt a blow in their efforts though when Baldwin went down during an attack from the hosts, and the game was paused for a lengthy duration while he received treatment before being stretchered off.

The home side were able to take advantage of Cheltenham’s forced quick reorganisation at the back, and Healey nodded in from a Williams cross to double the score line.

Broom’s cross for substitute Tyrone Barnett almost saw the front man head in as the Robins looked to find a way back into the contest, but the hosts would add a third in the nine minutes of stoppage time when Robbie Simpson struck their third from the penalty spot.

MK DONS (3-5-1): Nicholls; Walsh, Moore-Taylor, Cargill; Williams, Houghton, Watson (Thomas-Asante 71), Gilbey, Lewington (c); Aneke (Simpson 71), Healey (Brittain 90). Subs not used: Moore (Gk), Cisse, Hancox, Kasumu.

CHELTENHAM TOWN (4-5-1): Flinders; Baldwin (Barnett 85), Mullins (c), Boyle, Field (Hussey 64); Maddox, Atangana, Tozer, Clements, Broom; Varney. Subs not used: Lovett (Gk), Dawson, Lloyd, Forster, Jones.


ATTENDANCE: 6,503 (285 away)


Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account