Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report and reaction: Robins progress in FA Youth Cup after win at the New Lawn

29 October 2018

Match Reports

Report and reaction: Robins progress in FA Youth Cup after win at the New Lawn

29 October 2018

Cheltenham Town Under-18s progressed to the second round of this year's FA Youth Cup after beating local rivals Forest Green Rovers.

Two goals by Aaron Basford and a third by Will Dawes handed the club a victory at the New Lawn at the third time of asking this season.

Boss Michael Duff and his backroom staff were out in force in Nailsworth to see the youth side produce a performance full of energy and attacking intent to deservedly book a home tie against Gillingham in the next round.

"I'm really happy for the players. I think they represented themselves really well," said Under-18s coach Pete Haynes

"They stuck to the game plan and executed it effectively so they should be very proud of themselves.

"We controlled the game a lot better after the break. We were more direct in the second half, playing on the front foot and we pressed them well which is what we were after.

"In the end, we got our reward.

"We haven't played Gillingham before so it will be another good test for us and we're looking forward to it."

The Robins rode their luck at times before the break and were slightly fortunate to go into the interval on level terms despite taking an early lead.

Basford had grabbed the opener as early as the fourth minute after cutting inside from the right and beating Harrison Yates, the Forest Green number one, with strike at his near post.

Archie Brennan and Charlie Stanton, with a header, went close to adding a second but the home side began to get a foothold in the contest and were handed their first chance of the evening when Tyreece Briscoe brought down Dan Jones to concede a 13th minute penalty.

Daniel Ogunleye took it, but Freddie Lapworth guessed correctly and dived to his left to push it away to safety.

However the striker atoned for the miss just four minutes later when he burst through the middle, latching on to Jones' threaded ball before beating Lapworth from 12 yards to square the match.

The Robins were indebted to Lapworth for another fine save, this time to deny Oliver Artwell on the stroke of half-time

Then a moment later Ogunleye hit the bar with a looping header, meeting Ethan Hill's free-kick at the far post.

Dawes put the Robins back in front four minutes after the restart, calmly slotting home from close-range after some good work by Aaron Basford down the right.

Lapworth produced two more impressive saves, both to stop Jones pulling his side level while at the other end, Yates' instinctive stop blocked Charlie Stanton at point blank range.

Cheltenham put the seal on victory 14 minutes from time when Basford added his second of the night, rolling home after Will Dawes and then Charlie Stanton had seen efforts saved by Yates.

FOREST GREEN ROVERS (4-4-2): Yates; Saunders, Turner, Kalnins, Hill; Artwell, Spurrier (Bradshaw 79), Hendy, Jones (March 87); Ogunleye, Oladipo (Malshanskyj 72). Subs not used: Morgan, Thompson, Marsh.

CHELTENHAM TOWN (4-4-2): Lapworth; Scott (Gilkes 82), Richards (c) (Lawrence 70), Handley, Duncan; Brennan, Briscoe, Chamberlain, Dawes; Stanton, Basford. Subs not used: Avenall (Gk), Clift, Bedford.

REFEREE: M Underhay

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account