Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Full-time: Cheltenham Town 2, Newport County 1 - highlights and report

24 November 2018

Apologies, this video is unvailable.

Cheltenham Town beat Newport County 2-1 at the Jonny-Rocks Stadium to give Michael Duff his first home league win as manager and extended their unbeaten run to seven matches.

First half goals from Will Boyle and Tyrone Barnett made all the difference in a confident home display which ensured the Robins made it back to back wins in Sky Bet League Two.

Antoine Semenyo struck one back for Newport in the 90th minute but the home side managed to hold on for an important three points.

Mickey Demetriou missed a penalty for the away side when the score was 2-0, which could’ve made all the difference, but it wasn’t to be, and Cheltenham help on for three very important points.

It took Cheltenham just four minutes to have an attempt on Joe Day’s goal, a well worked corner routine was passed to Luke Varney inside the box, but his first-time effort flew over the bar.

Cheltenham controlled the opening exchanges, it was Ryan Broom on the right for the home side which set up the next chance, this time Tyrone Barnett was on the end of the cross, but he heads wide.

Broom’s next involvement was his cross for the opening goal of the game.  He found himself some space on the right, whipped a cross in and Will Boyle headed home for his fifth goal in all competitions.

Newport’s first chance came in the 28th minute when a good cross from the right was cleared for a corner by Will Boyle. At the half hour mark Newport were getting on the ball much more searching for an equaliser

Cheltenham came back well, Ryan Broom causing all sorts of problems down the right-hand side again. Crosses from him and Thomas gave Cheltenham two corners in quick succession.

The second corner was the more dangerous of the two, Will Boyle’s header nearly fell to Varney, but Joe Day did well to catch it.

Straight from the goalkeeper’s kick Newport earned themselves a corner of their own. Fraser Franks landed the Exiles first shot on target from the ball into the box, his header forced a superb save from Scott Flinders.

Cheltenham came back again, Chris Hussey got down the left wing and cut inside, his effort with the outside of his boot was parried by Joe Day and Tyrone Barnett smashed it home to make it 2-0 to Cheltenham right before half-time.

Luke Varney created one more chance before the half-time whistle. He cut back onto his right foot on the edge of the box and curled an effort which landed inches wide of Day’s right post.

Chris Hussey came out looking to start the second half as he ended the first, he had Day scrambling across his goal in the 50th minute, but his effort from outside the box was blocked by a Newport defender.

Cheers came from the home fans as Cheltenham had a continued spell of possession just after the hour mark.

As the game went on Newport pushed to get themselves back into the game, substitute Mark Harris broke into the box, he had the chance to pull it back, but Jordan Forster cleared in at the expense of a corner.

Newport’s chance came in the 85th minute when they were granted. Captain Mickey Demetriou stepped up and put it wide.

Newport’s next chance was their goal. Antoine Semenya smashed one home in the 90th minute, keeping the 936 Newport fans hopeful of a late turn around.

That led to a spell of late pressure for the away side, but they couldn’t capitalise. It was nervy final few minutes but Cheltenham held on to win 2-1.

ROBINS (3-5-2): Flinders; Boyle, Forster, Tozer; Hussey, Broom, Clements (Addai 88), Thomas, Atangana; Varney, Barnett. Subs not used: Lovett, Mullins, McAlinden, Jones, Field, Mooney.

NEWPORT COUNTY (4-3-3): Day; Pipe, Franks, Demetriou, Butler; Cooper (Crofts 46), Bakinson, Pring (O’Brien 46); Semenyo, Matt (Harris 73), Amond. Subs not used: Townsend, Sheehan, Foulston, Collins.

REFEREE: Alan Young


Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account