Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Full time: Accrington Stanley 3-1 Cheltenham Town

1 December 2018

Three second half goals saw Cheltenham exit the Emirates FA Cup at the second round stage against Sky Bet League One side Accrington Stanley.

Goalless at the break, Stanley turned on the style after half time and saw Offrande Zanzala make a big impact.

He scored their first, won a penalty that Billy Kee converted for their second, and then after Alex Addai had halved the score line for the Robins, Jordan Clark notched a third for Stanley who will now look ahead to the third round draw on Monday night.

There was little between the two sides in the early exchanges on a slick pitch at the Wham Stadium, though Chris Clements did produce the Robins first shot on goal as his effort from inside the area went over.

The home side were struggling to find a way through a resolute Cheltenham set-up, though towards the end of the half they threatened a number of times.

Tom Field did well to clear Ben Richards-Everton’s looping header off the line, while Scott Flinders made a fine smothering save to deny Sean McConville a minute later.

McConville again was involved in Accrington’s next major chance. His dangerous low cross flew across the face of Flinders goal and Kee couldn’t quite reach the ball at the back post.

All square at the break, but not for long into the second half, as half time substitute Zanzala made an immediate impact, heading in on 49 minutes to break the deadlock.

Clements almost drew parity shortly after with a low shot saved by Connor Ripley, and Zanzala was denied at the other end after breaking through by Flinders’ last ditch save.

The hosts would extend their lead midway through the half from the penalty spot. Kee stepped up to hammer home after Zanzala had been brought down inside the area to put the hosts in the driving seat for securing a place in the third round.

Addai’s introduction from off the bench brought some pace to the Robins front line, and he gave Michael Duff’s side a glimmer of hope when he halved the deficit with just over 15 minutes to go when he finished well past Ripley.

The Cheltenham hope was short lived though as the home side restored their two goal advantage minutes later. Clark showed good feet in the box and stroked in to add to their lead.

There was little the Robins could muster in the closing stages as Accrington saw out their victory to earn their place in the third round of the competition, and attentions now turn to Tuesday's Checkatrade Trophy tie with Newport County.

ACCRINGTON: Ripley, Johnson, Hughes, Ihiekwe, Richards-Everton, Clark, McConville (Mingoia 87), Finley (Brown 87), Barlaser, Conneely (Zanzala 46), Kee

ROBINS: Flinders, Hussey, Tozer, Atangana, Thomas, Broom, Maddox (Addai 60), Forster, Clements, Field, Varney (Barnett 58)

REFEREE: Andy Haines

ATTENDANCE: 1066 (102 away)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account