Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Cheltenham U18 2-0 Welling United U18 (A.E.T.)

16 November 2017

Cheltenham Town Under-18s progressed through to third round of the FA Youth Cup after beating Welling United Under-18s after extra-time at the LCI Rail Stadium.

Goals from Will Dawes and Ben Hailwood in the 106th and 118th minute respectively helped set up a home tie with either Wigan Athletic or Bury.

After a convincing 9-0 victory at AFC Totton in the first round, the young Robins faced a sterner test against the Wings and were quick out of the blocks as first round hero Lloyd tried to weave his way into the penalty area but was eventually crowded out by the defence.

Lloyd then forced Welling goalkeeper Diumannis Gossemna into a fine save after the lively striker brought down a long cross field ball and hit a shot towards the right hand post which was superbly tipped wide.

Pete Haynes' side were in the ascendancy as Lee Llewellyn's free kick was pushed over by Gossemna before Lloyd was twice denied by the busy stopper.

Cheltenham did eventually have the ball in the back of the net but it was ruled out for offside after Lloyd beat his man on the wide left and crossed to the far post where Camden Duncan tapped in, but he was denied by the linesman's flag.

Gossemna had kept his side in the game but had to be withdrawn after 25 minutes following a heavy collision and Matt Brown replaced him between the sticks.

But the substitute keeper was left rooted as Oliver Hunt's header from a Llewellyn corner whistled inches over the crossbar as the Robins continued to dominate proceedings.

Ethan Grant did manage Welling's first attempt on target after half an hour but it was easily gathered by Lewis Clayton.

The visitors did finish the half strongly and carried that momentum into the second period but failed to trouble Clayton during their best spell of the match, despite narrow misses from both Grant and Ollie Milton.

Both Ben Hailwood and Fin Clift were substituted on as the game settled down midway through the second half but a frantic spell in the 70th minute saw Archie Brennan and Hailwood hit attempts off target as Cheltenham tried to get that elusive opener.

With just under 15 minutes remaining, Will Dawes turned his marker cleverly but his shot was too tame to trouble Brown as the second round tie look destined for extra time.

Neither team could find a winner as the game finished 0-0 and the players faced another 30 minutes of action.

Having failed to net in normal time, the young Robins very nearly scored in the first minute of extra time as Fin Clift's free header was parried away at the far post by Brown.

Lloyd, who scored eight goals in the first round, then fired high over the Speedy Skips stand as the visitors continued to frustrate Pete Haynes' side.

But the first goal finally arrived in the 106th minute as Will Dawes poked into the net after Lloyd's shot was blocked inside the six yard box.

Welling legs were starting to tire and Ben Hailwood added a second with two minutes of extra time remaining after racing in on goal and unleashing an unstoppable strike into the top corner to confirm Cheltenham's place in round three of the FA Youth Cup.

CHELTENHAM TOWN: Clayton; Handley, Horton, Hunt, Davis, Llewelyn, Brennan, Duncan (Clift 70), Price (Hailwood 59), Dawes (Beardsell 112), Lloyd. Subs not used: Grimshaw (Gk), Scott.

WELLING UNITED: Gossemna (Brown 25) ; French, Raines, Hughes (Mampono 104), Edwards, Fullbrook, Hart, Hever, Milton, Grant, Sobeh (Belcher 87). Subs not used: Ohene, Newman.

REFEREE: Daniel Lamport

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account