Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Cheltenham 0-0 Cambridge United

21 November 2017

Cheltenham Town were forced to settle for a point after a frustrating night against Cambridge United at the LCI Rail Stadium.

The Robins impressed in the opening half of the Sky Bet League Two encounter with both Harry Pell and the recalled Jerell Sellars going close.

But the second half saw the resolute U's dig in and even threaten from set pieces as they held Gary Johnsons men out to secure a tenth clean sheet of the season

On a wet and blustery night in Gloucestershire, the first chance of the game was fashioned by Carl Winchester as he exchanged passes with Storer but his drive flicked off a diving Greg Taylor and over.

Cheltenham were enjoying long spells of possession as they probed for an opening against a Cambridge team clearly eager to show defensive resolve after the 7-0 humbling against Luton.

Wales Under-21 ace Joe Morrell led a quick break out from deep inside his own half and rolled in Sellars, but his cross-shot was too strong for Wright as he lurked in the middle.

The all-action Harry Pell then robbed Jake Carroll and burst into the box before testing David Forde with a near post drive.

Cambridge showed they could be a threat too with a weaving run from Uche Ikpeazu allowing to glide into the box before, as Scott Flinders raced out to apply pressure, Will Boyle cleared the low cross.

The game was halted for nine minutes after a nasty clash of heads between Pell and Liam O'Neil, with the Cambridge man forced off and replaced by Paul Lewis.

On the resumption, Cheltenham looked to get back up to pace quickly with Morrell providing the spark as he cut inside off the left wing and fired a shot that deflected wide.

The Robins made an early change themselves on 44 minutes as Winchester was replaced by Freddie Hinds.

And the hosts almost snatched a goal in added time as Pell brilliantly swiveled and cracked a sweet shot that the impressive Forde did well to palm over.

Cambridge slowly grew into the game as the second half wore on with Piero Mingoia and Leon Legge going close.

Morrell again showed his quick feet cut to test Forde's handling while Sellars looked to create room with a number of piercing runs past men.

The U's, though, continued to look very dangerous from set pieces with a corner causing issues before an unmarked Greg Taylor lashed a shot over from ten yards when he should have tested Flinders.

A late flurry from the hosts saw Pell curl narrowly wide and Morrell work the goalkeeper with a free kick.

But there was no way through as the Robins took a point as all eyes now turn to Nailsworth and derby day on Saturday.

CHELTENHAM TOWN: Flinders; O'Shaughnessy, Grimes, Boyle, Moore, Winchester (Hinds 44), Storer (Atangana 83), Morrell, Pell, Sellars, Wright. Subs not used: Lovett (Gk), Bower, Eisa.

CAMBRIDGE UNITED: Forde, Halliday, Carroll, Deegan, Taylor, Legge, Mingoia (Brown 80), Ikpeazu, Dunk, O'Neil (Lewis 34), Elito. Subs not used: Mitov (Gk), Taft, Osadebe, Maris, Davies.

REFEREE: John Busby

ATTENDANCE: 2,266 (152 from Cambridge)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account