Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Leyton Orient vs Cheltenham Town

25 February 2017

REPORT: Leyton Orient 0-1 Cheltenham Town

Cheltenham Town recorded a crucial 1-0 win over Leyton Orient in their SkyBet League Two game at The Matchroom Stadium.

The Robins took the lead thanks to Carl Winchester’s spectacular goal midway through the first half, and it stayed that way until the break.

After half time Orient’s best chance to grab a draw was from the penalty spot, but Scott Brown produced a great save to keep Callum Kennedy’s effort out.

The result means that Cheltenham move up to 19th in the table, six points clear of the relegation zone.

Orient had the better of the opening few minutes as the home crowd tried to create a big atmosphere, but it was Harry Pell who had the first real effort on goal as he shot wide after a quick counter-attacking move for Cheltenham.

On the 10 minute mark The Robins then had a big chance to take the lead as James Rowe’s free kick was played into the path of Tin Plavotic, but his shot from close-range was scuffed wide.

Gary Johnson’s side were having to remain careful at the back, though, as it took a great double save from Brown to keep out Gavin Massey before Nigel Atangana missed a near enough open goal as his shot from close-range hit the side netting.

Brown was being kept busy as he then had to make another double save to keep The O’s out, but from that he launched an attack that saw Cheltenham take the lead.

His long kick forward was flicked on to Billy Waters by Kyle Wootton, and he played it into the path of Winchester to smash a fantastic strike into the left hand side of the goal on the 21 minute mark.

Five minutes before half time Orient had a good chance to equalise as Michael Collins got away down the right hand side and pulled it back to Josh Koromo, but he fired over from just inside the box to ensure Cheltenham went into the break 1-0 up.

After the interval it took no more than two minutes for the away side to create a good chance as Wootton found space on the right hand side, but his shot across goal went inches wide.

It was a dominant start to the second half from The Robins and they went close again when Winchester’s powerful shot was tipped over by Sam Sargeant.

It was then Orient’s turn to get forward and they earned themselves a penalty just before the hour mark, but Kennedy’s effort from 12 yards was brilliantly saved by Brown down to his left hand side.

It was end-to-end for the rest of the game after that point, with Jack Barthram and Kyle Storer both having shots go over the bar for Cheltenham.

Orient had late chances to steal a point as Brown again was forced into action to keep out Sandro Semedo, but Cheltenham held on to claim an important three points.

Leyton Orient: S Sargeant, C Kennedy, T Parkes (M Clark, 45), M Collins, P McCallum (C) (R Liburd, 76), G Massey, N Atangana, T Mezague, S Semedo, J Koroma (S Dalby, 65), M Judd.

Unused Subs: C Grainger, S Moore, A Pollock, S Alzate.

Cheltenham Town: S Brown, W Boyle, E Onariase, T Plavotic, J Barthram, L Davis, J Rowe (K Storer, 61), H Pell, C Winchester, K Wootton, B Waters.

Unused Subs: C Kitscha, D O’Shaughnessy, J Munns, J Dayton, D Holman, D Wright.

Attendance: 4747 (317).

Advertisement block