Skip to main content Skip to site footer

REPORT: Cheltenham U18 1-2 Bury U18

13 December 2017


REPORT: Cheltenham U18 1-2 Bury U18

13 December 2017

Battling Cheltenham Town bowed out of the FA Youth Cup after a narrow defeat to Bury in an entertaining third round tie at a wet and blustery LCI Rail Stadium.

The young Robins had already impressed in the cup competition this season, defeating AFC Totton and Welling United in earlier rounds.

And they did so again as they battled to the end on home soil with a display full of heart and desire after going behind in the tie to Rob Harker's first half header.

Home goalkeeper Lewis Clayton impressed throughout - brilliantly saving a first half penalty from Harker - before the home side equalised when Archie Brennan poked home George Lloyd's clever through ball on the hour.

But Bury struck again 20 minutes from the end, just as the home side looked to wrestle back ascendency, with Callum Styles netting the winner.

Bury started the game confidently as they stroked the ball around, despite yet another downpour just prior to kick-off.

Visiting wide man Joe Adams cut inside and saw a curling shot deflect wide before Harker failed to make a clean connection ten yards out.

However, the Bury striker did made amends emphatically on 13 minutes when he skillfully lofted a header into the far corner from a cross from Douglas Nyaupembe.

Harker could have extended the lead two minutes later, when the referee pointed to the spot after Adams was clipped in the box. But the forward was brilliantly denied by Clayton who flung himself low to his right to claw away the penalty.

Visiting skipper Ryan Cooney also went close, missing his kick at the back post from a deep corner.

Cheltenham also threatened with Lloyd carving an opportunity out all by himself as he picked the ball up in his own half, beat two men for pace and cracked a low shot narrowly wide from 25 yards.

Bury continued to push with Clayton again reacting smartly to deny Callum Hulme's low drive before the midfielder hit the outside of the post with a sweetly struck free kick.

Clayton then got down low to deny Adams with a smart stop, with Harker turning home the rebound only for celebrations to be cut short by the offside flag.

Cheltenham made a double half-time change, with Ben Hailwood and Tyreece Briscoe introduced. Hailwood almost had an immediate impact as he was denied by the quick reactions of Moloney after a mix-up at the back for Bury.

Moloney was suddenly the busier goalkeeper as he plucked Lloyd's header out of the air, after a superb cross from Camden Duncan, before he threw himself to his left to again deny the Cheltenham striker.

But there was no denying Brennan just after the hour as he broke from midfield and met a beautifully weighted ball from Lloyd to poke it home from six yards.

The Robins looked energised by the goal with Hailwood tearing past men and crossing to Briscoe at the back post before Oliver Hunt headed goalwards.

Bury, though, hit back as a clever free kick from Adams was expertly turned home at the far post by Styles.

The Robins continued to battle for every ball and had late penalty appeals waved away after Briscoe's cross struck a Bury player and went for a corner.

CHELTENHAM TOWN: Clayton, Handley, Horton (Briscoe 45), Hunt, New, Davis, Llewelyn, Brennan, Duncan, Price (Hailwood 45), Lloyd (Clift 82). Subs not used: Grimshaw (Gk), Scott.

BURY:Moloney, Nyaupembe, Hatton, Styles, Shotton, Cooney, Adams, Hill, Harker, Hulme, Da Silva (Whittaker 85). Subs not used: Edwards-Williams, Skinner, Williams, Ondua.

REFEREE: Darren Wilding

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account