Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Crawley Town vs Cheltenham Town

14 April 2017

REPORT: Crawley Town 0-0 Cheltenham Town

Cheltenham Town and Crawley Town played out a goalless draw in their League Two fixture at the Broadfield Stadium.

Both sides had chances in the first half to take the lead, but neither could break the deadlock.

Dan Holman went close a number of times, including hitting the post, in the second half, but in the end the sides had to settle for a point each.

The Robins stay 21st in the table, though are now two points clear of the relegation zone after Newport's win against Yeovil.

Danny Wright had the first effort of the afternoon on five minutes when he latched onto a ball over the top, but his lobbed effort was too tame and collected easily by Glenn Morris.

It was a fast-paced start to the game as Harry Pell had a shot saved soon after, and it took some last ditch defending up the other end from Tin Plavotic and Will Boyle to stop Rhys Murphy scoring when he was through on goal for Crawley.

On the 20 minute mark it was Wright again who let fly for The Robins, but his powerful effort was blocked well by the home side and cleared away.

A few later Jimmy Smith rather ambitiously had a go with a half volley from outside the box for The Red Devils, but it was easily gathered by Scott Brown.

Five minutes before the break Cheltenham had another good chance to go ahead when Liam Davis whipped a dangerous cross into the box, but Holman’s header crept inches wide of the post and the sides went in goalless at half time.

After the interval The Robins came out firing and a fantastic run down the right hand side from Harry Pell almost ended up in his cross being put into the back of the net, but somehow Crawley cleared it off the line.

Just before the hour mark the away side went close again as Pell played in Holman, but his low shot went narrowly wide of the far post.

Seconds later Holman had another big chance as he found some space inside the Crawley box, but his effort was saved well by Morris.

With 18 minutes to go that man Holman must have been wondering what more he needed to do to put the ball in the back of the net as his shot from the edge of the area cannoned back off the post.

Kyle Storer's deflected effort from distance almost crept in as the game drew to a close, but despite four minutes of added time Cheltenham couldn't find a winner.

Crawley Town: G Morris, L Young, M Connolly, E Boldewijn, J Smith (C), D Cox, A Blackman, B Clifford, J McNerney, K Djalo (J Payne, 72), R Murphy (J Roberts, 62).

Unused Subs: Y Mersin, A Garnett, B Bawling, J Lelan.

Cheltenham Town: S Brown, T Plavotic (J Rowe, 45), W Boyle, E Onariase, L Davis, K Storer, C Winchester, H Pell, B Waters, D Holman, D Wright (K Wootton, 50).

Unused Subs: R Lovett, A Downes, M Bower, J Munns, J Dayton.

Attendance: 2008 (193)

Advertisement block