Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Yeovil Town vs Cheltenham Town

24 September 2016

Yeovil Town 4-2 Cheltenham Town

Yeovil Town beat Cheltenham Town 4-2 in an eventful game at Huish Park in Gary Johnson's first game back in Somerset since he left The Glovers in 2015.

First half goals from Otis Khan, Darren Ward and Matt Dolan, plus a reply from Aaron Downes, saw Yeovil comfortably ahead at the interval.

Billy Waters' tap in after Danny Wright's missed penalty was the only goal that The Robins could claim in the second half, and Tom Eaves' goal late on wrapped things up for Darren Way's side.

It took just one minute for Cheltenham to have their first opportunity as Downes headed James Dayton’s corner back across goal, but Harry Pell’s half volley from the edge of the box flew inches wide.

Five minutes later, though, Eaves was set clear down the right hand side and his powerful cross was spilled by Russell Griffiths, leaving Khan to tap the ball into the empty net and put The Glovers ahead.

Things got worse for The Robins on the 16 minute mark when Yeovil doubled their lead after Khan’s corner was flicked in at the near post by captain Ward.

The home side were controlling the game at this point, and almost went even further in front shortly after when Khan beat Suliman in the left hand corner of the pitch and unleashed a powerful shot, but Griffiths was equal to it and pushed it over.

After half an hour The Gaffer decided to take action and make a double change by bringing on Waters and Jack Munns, and it had the desired affect as Cheltenham started to get themselves back into the game.

4 minutes before half time Downes pulled a goal back as he headed Munns’ corner into the roof of the net to half the deficit and give The Robins the goal they deserved.

However, in first half added time Yeovil regained their two goal advantage when Griffiths made a fantastic save from Khan’s initial shot, but couldn’t get anywhere near to Dolan’s clever diving header on the rebound as it looped into the top right corner.

After the break the game continued to be just as action packed with both sides trying to get on the front and get the goal to dictate the game.

And it was Cheltenham who got it after Danny Wright’s missed penalty in the 57th minute was recycled by Rob Dickie, and Waters couldn’t miss from inside the 6 yard box.

The Robins had gotten themselves within one goal of the Somerset side but were struggling to create any clear-cut chances in an end-to-end game, though Downes again came close with a header from a corner.

With 10 minutes to go Cheltenham broke quickly from midfield as Waters played it to Dickie on the right hand side and in space, but after he had advanced well into the acres of open pitch in front of him the Reading loanee's shot ended up going high and wide.

Eaves then put the game beyond The Robins in added time when he beat Downes for pace down the left hand side, rounded Griffiths and tucked the ball into the empty net.

Yeovil Town: A Krysiak, L Shephard, N Smith, M Dolan, A Lacey, T Eaves, O Khan, M Butcher, R Hedges, D Ward (C) (B Mugabi, 66), B Whitfield (A Lawless, 66).

Unused Subs: J Maddison, J Ezewele, K Copp, O Sowunmi, T Campbell.

Cheltenham Town: R Griffiths, A Downes (C), D Parslow, D O’Shaughnessy, E Suliman (B Waters, 31), R Dickie, H Pell, J Cranston, J Smith (J Munns, 31), J Dayton (A Hall, 81), D Wright.

Unused Subs: C Kitscha, J Barthram, J Thomas, A Morgan-Smith.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account