Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

REPORT: Cheltenham 3-1 Kidderminster

11 October 2016

Club News

REPORT: Cheltenham 3-1 Kidderminster

11 October 2016

Friendly match

The Robins this afternoon completed a 3-1 win over Kidderminster in a behind-closed-doors friendly match at our training ground.

Cheltenham line-up:
Calum Kitscha, Jordan Lymn, Matt Bower, Dan O'Shaughnessy, Taylor Cordell, James Dayton (Josh Thomas, 56), Kyle Storer (Jacob Nutting, 64), Danny Whitehead, Jonny Smith (George Llyod, 69), Amari Morgan-Smith (Joe Hance, 69), Trialist

Kidderminster had the better of the early exchanges with only good blocks from Dan O'Shaughnessy and James Dayton keeping the Harriers out.

It was Cheltenham however who broke the deadlock in the 16th minute as Jonny Smith skinned his marker on the left wing before whipping in a great cross. The trialist was there to tap in from two yards out.

The Harriers continued to dominate and had two great chances thwarted by Calum Kitscha before they did finally get an equaliser in the 35th minute. From an indirect free-kick inside the Robins' box, the ball eventually dropped to their striker who smashed home from the edge of the box.

Matt Bower missed a good chance from five yards and then at the other end, Cheltenham were again indebted to Kitscha who made an incredible double save and the score stayed 1-1 going into half-time.

After the break, Cheltenham took control of the game with the visitors tiring. Jonny Smith scored a fine individual goal to make it 2-1 to Cheltenham in the 53rd. Having switched to the right wing, he beat his marker before firing home from a tight angle.

Kyle Storer, playing to try and improve his match fitness having recovered from a back injury, got the third for the Robins. His free-kick from a wide angle missed everyone and nestled into the back of the net. That was Storer's last action of the game as several members of the U18s team came on for the last 25 minutes.

The game slowed in intensity towards the end, both teams had chances to score but the match finished 3-1.

Robins' boss Gary Johnson commented, " It was a good game to give some of the lads on the edge of the first team some minutes against a good Kidderminster team. Some of them are coming back from injury so it's a good test for their bodies."

On Storer, who is yet to make an appearance for the first team this season, Johnson said, " The most important thing is that his back injury didn't flare up again. He did well and is getting closer and closer to the first team."  

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account