Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Cheltenham Town vs Luton Town

1 October 2016

Match Reports

Cheltenham Town vs Luton Town

1 October 2016

Cheltenham Town 1-1 Luton Town

Cheltenham Town picked up a point in an exciting 1-1 draw against Luton Town on a rainy afternoon at The LCI Rail Stadium.

The Robins dominated the opening 45 minutes but weren't able to take the lead despite having plenty of chances to do so.

Shortly after half time The Hatters went ahead through Danny Hylton, but weren't ahead for long as Daniel O'Shaughnessy drew Cheltenham level soon after.

Both teams made attacking substitutions as the game went on, but neither side could find a winner as the game ended all square.

The first big chance of the game came after 6 minutes when Harry Pell’s cross from the right hand side was cleared to former Luton man Asa Hall on the edge of the box, but his shot was bravely blocked and ended up trickling just wide.

And it was Cheltenham who had the better of the opening 15 minutes as O’Shaughnessy went close with a header and Jack Munns forced Christian Walton into a good save.

On the 18 minute mark Luton carved out their first chance when James Justin’s cross was deflected into the path of Hylton, but he couldn’t guide the ball anywhere other than wide.

The away side’s chance was a rarity in the early stages of the game though, as Cheltenham continued to dominate and almost opened the scoring just shy of 20 minutes in when Danny Wright headed the ball narrowly wide of Walton’s goal.

As the game approached the half an hour mark Luton began to control the game for the first time, but while they were having a lot of the ball they weren’t creating any clear chances.

For the last ten minutes of the half the game reverted back into Cheltenham’s control, though, and both Hall and Jack Barthram tested Walton with powerful long-range efforts.

After half time it took just seven minutes for Luton to break the deadlock as Hylton broke down the right hand side, beat Aaron Downes and rounded Griffiths before slotting the ball into the back of the net.

However, Luton were ahead for just 12 minutes as Munns’ corner in the 64th minute caused havoc in the box and O’Shaughnessy was on hand to smash the ball in from close range and level things up.

With 15 minutes to go Hall let fly from range, but even though his shot was dipping and curling it ended up clipping the crossbar on it's way over Walton's goal.

As the final whistle drew closer it was Luton who were applying the pressure, but again they were being limited to long shots that Griffiths was equal to and the game finished level.

Cheltenham Town: R Griffiths, A Downes (C), D O’Shaughnessy, R Dickie, J Barthram, J Cranston, A Hall, J Munns (J Dayton, 81), H Pell, D Wright, B Waters (A Morgan-Smith, 74)

Unused Subs: C Kitscha, D Parslow, E Suliman, D Whitehead, J Smith.

Luton Town: C Walton, S Cuthbert (C), A Sheehan, D Potts, J Justin, P Mpanzu (A Gilliead, 83), O Lee, C McGeehan, J Cook, J Marriott (J Smith, 76), D Hylton.

Unused Subs: C King, S O’Donnell, J Gray, A Famewo, J Mcquaid.

Attendance: 3660 (923)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account