Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

REPORT: Cheltenham 1-3 Barnsley

19 July 2016

Tuesday 19th July

Barnsley came out 3-1 winners against Cheltenham in the first home friendly for Gary Johnson’s men since they were crowned National League champions.


Sam Winnell’s first half brace saw Barnsley two goals up at the break in a score line that was perhaps harsh on The Robins, with the only real difference being how clinical the Championship side were.


The second half saw plenty of changes for both sides, which disrupted the game, but Dan Holman pulled one in the 83rd minute before Shaun Tuton’s last minute goal ended the match as a contest.


Cheltenham played some nice football at times on a new-and-improved pitch and certainly weren’t outclassed by a team two divisions above them.


Cheltenham carved out the first opportunity of the game after 13 minutes when Dan Holman stole the ball off of a Barnsley defender and played in Asa Hall, but his shot was straight at Adam Davies.


Just 5 minutes later, James Rowe let fly from the edge of the box after Hall gave him the ball from a free kick, but Davies was equal to it and pushed it over.


It was then the away side’s turn to have a go at goal as Conor Hourihane’s corner was met by the head of former Robin Marley Watkins, but Hall was there to clear it off the line.


Barnsley were starting to control the game and with almost half an hour on the clock, new signing Tom Bradshaw wasn’t able to convert his close-range attempt from a tight angle.


With 10 minutes to go until half time, Winnell ran through the Cheltenham defence but took the ball too wide and his shot was saved comfortably by Jack Rose.


Within a minute, though, Barnsley were ahead after Josh Scowen’s shot from outside the box was guided in by the knee of Winnell.


Just before half time Winnell scored his second from close range to give the South Yorkshire side a comfortable lead at the interval.


After the break it was Cheltenham who had the first chance as Harry Pell guided Rowe’s free kick just wide of the post.


With almost an hour on the clock, Adam Hammill went on a mazy run through the Cheltenham defence but his curling effort was brilliantly saved by Rose.


After 70 minutes Barnsley looked destined to extend their lead as Hourihane broke from a Cheltenham corner, but his pass across goal was blocked well by Barthram.


Holman then scored with just seven minutes remaining with a fantastic curling effort from just outside the box to set up an exciting end to the match.


With just a few minutes remaining though, substitute Tuton restored Barnsley’s two goal lead with a good finish.


Cheltenham Town XI: J Rose, J Barthram (J Lymn, 77), J Jennings (M Bower, 77), D Parslow (C), D O’Shaughnessy, H Pell (K Storer, 77), A Hall, J Cranston (B Waters, 60), J Rowe (A Morgan-Smith, 60), D Holman, D Wright.


Barnsley XI: A Davies, J Bree (C Evans, 71), A White (A Yiadom, 71), M Roberts (L Nyatanga, 79), J Scowen, A Hammill (S Tuton, 71), C Hourihane (C), S Winnall (E Lee), M Watkins, A Mawson, T Bradshaw (G Moncur, 45).

Attendance: 758

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account