Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

REPORT: Bishops Cleeve 0–4 Cheltenham Town

9 July 2016

A promising start to pre-season

On a mild July afternoon Gary Johnson’s men got their pre-season off to a fantastic start with a comfortable 4-0 win over Bishops Cleeve.


A commanding first half performance from the team and a brace from Danny Wright meant it was 2-0 at the break.


Second half goals from Dan Holman and Jack Munns meant the score-line matched the dominance of the display.


All the team, as well as the three trialists on show in the game, gave a good account of themselves and made it the perfect start to the season.


In an exciting start to the match, the Robins had the first chance as Waters fired over after a good run and cross from Lee Marshall.

Bishops Cleeve had their first opportunity soon after as Jack Horrell took aim from a free kick – but his effort ended up just wide of the post.


Wright then opened the scoring on 14 minutes with a tap in after his initial header from James Rowe’s cross hit the post.


The two linked up again 10 minutes later as Rowe picked the ball up on the edge of the box and coasted past the defender before finding Wright, who headed the ball into the bottom corner for his second of the afternoon.


Cheltenham continued to dominate and in the 34th minute Waters went through on goal after some pinball on the edge of the box, but he could only hit his shot high and wide.


A much-changed side then took to the field for the second half, and the Robins showed their intent to continue to dominate the game as some clever football on the edge of the box ended up in substitute Holman hitting the post.


15 minutes into the second half the Robins went even further in front after clever play from Dayton and Cranston resulted in a tap in for Munns.


Holman then got in on the action with 20 minutes to go as Munns had his shot blocked, but Harry Pell played the rebound across for the striker to score from close range.


Substitute goalkeeper Rhys Lovett then had to be replaced by first half goalkeeper Calum Kitscha after a nasty collision with a Bishops Cleeve striker.


With 10 minutes remaining Holman had a chance to double his tally, but his shot went just over after good work from Jack Barthram.


As the game drew to a close both James Dayton and Pell hit the post with Cheltenham well on top.


First half line-up: Kitscha, O’Shaughnessy, Parslow (C), De Havilland, Jennings, Rowe, Hall, Marshall, Wright, Waters.


Second half line up: Lovett, Barthram, De Havilland, O’Shaughnessy, Bower, Cranston, Munns, Storer, Pell, Dayton, Holman.

Advertisement block