Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Dover Vs Cheltenham

24 January 2016

Report: Dover 1-2 Cheltenham

Cheltenham came from behind to win 2-1 at Dover thanks to two Danny Wright goals that send the Robins back to the top of the Vanarama National League. However that only tells half of the dramatic story!

In front of the BT Sport cameras, the game got off to a slow start with neither team able to create many clear cut chances. Billy Waters and debutant Dan Holman both shot straight at the keeper in the opening 20 minutes.

The home side grew into the game as the first half went on and looked the more threatening. Stand-in centre half Asa Hall looked assured throughout and made an important block in the thirtieth minute to keep the scores level.

Robins' keeper Dillon Phillips produced a fine save to tip a Jack Parkinson header over the bar before Ricky Miller's looping header narrowly missed the target as Dover pushed for a goal.

Harry Pell very nearly gave Cheltenham the lead against the run of play before half time after a fine ball from Kyle Storer had set him up. However Pell was unable to control the ball and could only force a corner that was cleared. The first half ended 0-0.

Into the second half and Pell was booked for a late challenge on Ricky Modeste, his tenth of the season meaning he'll miss the next two matches with suspension. Dan Holman was also booked for a challenge on the Dover goalkeeper as the game became scrappy.

Cheltenham again had Phillips to thank as he managed to somehow keep out a low Modeste shot with his legs as the ball squirmed past the outside of the post, much to the relief of the 130 travelling supporters.

Gary Johnson made a double substitution to try and improve things. James Rowe and Ryan Jennings were the men to come on for Billy Waters and Jack Munns in the 73rd minute. Unfortunately Ryan Jennings had to come off five minutes later with a foot injury. He was replaced by James Dayton who had been suffering with sickness during the game.

The deadlock was finally broken in the 83rd minute with an absolute stunner from Nick Deverdics. His 30 yard effort dipped and swerved past Dillon Phillips to send the home crowd wild.

However this Cheltenham team are made of sterner stuff and were ready and waiting to resume the battle as their hosts celebrated for several minutes!

It was substitute James Dayton to find that spark as he drew a foul inside the Dover box and earn a penalty with two minutes of normal time remaining.

Danny Wright stepped up to take it and beat the keeper with a great penalty into the top corner to level things up at 1-1.

Just 55 seconds later, Wright had won the game for Cheltenham. He started the move himself with a knockdown to Holman who beat a few players before playing in James Dayton.

Dayton's shot was parried to Wright who poked home to send the away fans, the directors, us in the press box and the rest of the squad/ management absolutely crazy!

After Forest Green's win yesterday, these three points send Gary Johnson's side back to the top of the table!

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account