Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Tranmere V Cheltenham

20 February 2016

Report: Tranmere 0-1 Cheltenham

Cheltenham Town made history after they beat Tranmere Rovers 1-0 and extended their unbeaten run to 21 games- a club record.

Danny Wright scored in the third minute after latching onto James Rowe's cross and grabbed his 21st goal of the season.

Cheltenham could have been ahead within seconds, James Dayton's cross from the right ricocheted off Michael Higdon's standing leg and looked goal bound but former Robin Lee Vaughan cleared it off the line.

With their second attempt on goal Cheltenham were in front, Danny Wright latched onto James Rowe's ball in the box and after his first shot was blocked he slotted the rebound past Scott Davies. Wright's third minute goal was his 21st of the campaign and his eighth in his last six games.

Tranmere could have been level just seven minutes later, Gary Taylor-Fletcher latched onto James Norwood's cross but his instinctive shot from the outside of the boot went just wide of Dillon Phillip's goal.

The hosts had another chance shortly after, Liam Ridehalgh whipped in a cross from the left which was met by the powerful head of Michael Higdon but Phillips was equal to it.

In the 27th minute, James Rowe forced a good save from Scott Davies after the midfielder went past two players and hit a shot at goal, but the stopper palmed it away.

Few chances were cut out as the half progressed due to the physical nature of the game on a boggy Prenton Park pitch. Seconds before the half-time whistle Dan Holman could have made it 2-0, his shot from just outside the box looked to have been palmed over the bar for a corner but referee Martin Coy had blown for half-time.

Gary Brabin's side are the only team that have beaten Cheltenham in the league at home this season and in the first half looked dangerous. James Norwood and Gary Taylor-Fletcher looked the most threatening for Rovers.

Two minutes into the second half, James Rowe floated in a free kick from the left which fell to James Dayton 15 yards out but his rising shot went over the bar.

The Robins didn't look like taking their foot off the gas either, Holman and Wright both looked dangerous in the final third as did wingers Rowe and Dayton.

Tranmere allowed Rowe to waltz into the box as his cross teed up Wright, who went in search of his second, but Scott Davies got down low to deal with the shot.

Adam Mekki replaced Gary Taylor-Fletcher just before the hour mark and injected some much needed energy into the Rovers attack. James Dayton was replaced shortly after by Jordan Cranston as he received a yellow card earlier in the match.

Dan Holman hit a speculative shot on the 67th minute which forced Davies to scramble but he managed to palm it away.
Jack Barthram later took a bang to the foot and after receiving treatment from the physio managed to carry on but was later replaced by housemate Jack Munns.

With 10 minutes to go Adam Mekki sent a shot wide which looked harder to miss than score and spared the blushes of the Cheltenham defence.
There were few chances in the last 10 minutes as the win cemented this Cheltenham team's place in history as well as their place at the top of the National League table.

Cheltenham Town: Phillips, Barthram (Munns 74'), Burgess, Parslow, McLennan, Dayton (Cranston 65'), Hall, Storer (C), Rowe, Wright, Holman
Subs not used: Kitscha, Lymn, Waters

Tranmere Rovers: Davies, Vaughan, McNulty (C), Harris, Ridehalgh, Ihiekwe, Taylor-Fletcher (Mekki 59'), Maynard, Hughes (Kirby 70'), Norwood, Higdon

Subs not used: Turner, Sutton, Mackreth
Referee: Mr M Coy
Attendance: 5418 (318 Away)

Advertisement block