Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

FC Halifax Town V Cheltenham Town

3 October 2015

Report: Halifax 1-7 Cheltenham Town

Cheltenham Town got back to winning ways in style away at FC Halifax Town, running out easy 7-1 winners thanks to a hat-trick from Jack Munns. In a fairly even first half, the Robins lead 2-1 at the break thanks to goals from Jack Munns and Amari Morgan-Smith. After the break Cheltenham completely dominated and goals from Pell, Waters and two more for Munns completed the scoring. 

The hosts had the better of the opening exchanges, with Jordan Burrow and Danny Racchi going close inside the first ten minutes whilst Cheltenham struggled to string any passes together and were penned inside their own half.

Despite this, Halifax couldn't take advantage and found themselves behind in the 12th minute. Danny Wright did well to hold up a long ball and then slide in Jack Munns. Munns, 1-on-1 with the keeper, took his time and then coolly slotted past the keeper to put the Robins 1-0 up against the run of play.

Following the goal the Robins grew in confidence, working well in the middle of the park to force several corners, from which they always looked dangerous, without actually working the keeper.

However just when it was starting to look comfortable for Cheltenham, the scores were suddenly level. From yet another Cheltenham corner, the ball was cleared to Josh MacDonald who ran 60 yards with the ball down the right flank, getting the better of George McLennan to get to the byline and cut the ball back for the unmarked Kingsley James to smash it past Dillon Phillips.

The game became scrappy after the equaliser with neither side able to retain possession in a packed midfield.

Just when it looked set to be all square at half-time, Cheltenham came up with a goal out of nothing. Rob Dickie drove forward into the Halifax half before producing a top quality pass to put Amari Morgan-Smith through on goal. The striker took a touch before firing in to give the visitors a 2-1 half time lead.

It only took 90 second half seconds for Cheltenham to score again and double their lead.  Munns' cross from the left was flicked on by the studs of Danny Wright into the far corner.

The contest appeared over after the third goal, with Cheltenham allowed plenty of time on the ball to pick apart the Halifax defense, and it was four before the hour.

Danny Wright dropped deep to gather the ball and slide in the onrushing Harry Pell, who then beat the keeper from 15 yards.

With the fourth goal going in, the pace of the game dropped significantly, with Cheltenham holding onto the ball well. Billy Waters, Asa Hall and Lee Vaughan came on for Pell, Kyle Storer and Jack Barthram respectively.

Substitute Billy Waters scored with almost his first touch, beating the keeper at his near post with ten minutes left on the clock.

Cheltenham continued to dominate until the end and Jack Munns cashed in. He scored his second in injury time with a stunner, beating three defenders before curling into the top corner.

He completed his own hat-trick and made it seven for the Robins from the penalty spot after Amari Morgan-Smith had been brought down inside the box.

That concluded the scoring as Cheltenham completed their most comprehensive performance of the season, winning 7-1.

FC Halifax Town:
Matt Glennon,
kevin Roberts, Matt Brown, Julian Banton, James Bolton, 
Josh MacDonald, Connor Hughes, Danny Racchi, Kingley James, Hamza Bencherif
Jordan Burrow

Cheltenham Town:
Dillon Phillips
Rob Dickie, Aaron Downes (c), Daniel Parslow
Jack Barthram (Lee Vaughan, 67), Harry Pell (Billy Waters, 71), Kyle Storer (Asa Hall, 71), Jack Munns, George McLennan
Amari Morgan-Smith, Danny Wright

1,267 (149 away)

Advertisement block