Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Full-time: Evesham United 3 Cheltenham Town 7

15 July 2015

Impressive display in second friendly

Evesham United 3 Cheltenham Town 7

Cheltenham Town made it 10 goals in two pre-season friendlies against Southern League opposition with an impressive evening's work at Evesham United on Tuesday.

Harry Williams, who spent time on loan at the Jubilee Stadium last season, netted a first-half brace to put Gary Johnson's side in command before Lee Smith pulled one back for the home side.

It was an entertaining first period, marred only by a knee ligament injury to youth team midfielder James McCarthy, who was called into the side in the absence of Omari Sterling-James and ended up being carried off on a stretcher in the 16th minute. 

Sterling-James has joined Jamal Lawrence on trial at Oxford City, with a view to loan moves for the attacking pair.

Williams' well taken first arrived in the 21st minute after a good ball from the left from youngster Adam Page, who has been impressing Johnson in training having been given a chance to link up with the senior squad after shining for the Under-18s last term. 

The second was a well directed header from Williams after a pinpoint Lee Vaughan cross, this time from the right, giving goalkeeper Kevin Sawyer no chance.

Lee Smith, formerly of Gloucester City and Cirencester Town, netted for Evesham in the 39th minute, but with youth team defender Niall Rowe producing another assured display alongside Jack Deaman, Calum Kitscha was well protected. The 22-year-old's only save of note came from Lance Smith's header in the 12th minute.

Jack Munns replaced McCarthy in the 17th minute and the rest of the team was changed at half-time, with the other nine new signings and trialist Danny Parslow joining the action.

Amari Morgan-Smith scored Cheltenham's third in the 53rd minute, turning sharply and finishing with an accurate shot. Billy Waters made it 4-1 on the hour, nodding in after Harry Pell's shot had been parried by Sawyer.

Pell was inspired in the centre of the pitch and he scored himself 10 minutes later, curling into the top right corner after his initial effort had been saved by the overworked Sawyer. Munns got in on the act two minutes later, making room for a shot and burying it in the bottom right corner.

Evesham responded with goals from Sam Comfort (77) and Lance Smith (87), the latter of which was a well executed free-kick, but Danny Wright had the final say, tapping in Cheltenham's seventh of the night in the 89th minute.

Next up for Cheltenham is a trip to Weston-super-Mare on Saturday (3pm) before Sheffield United visit Whaddon Road next Tuesday (7.45pm).

Evesham United: Sawyer; M Jackson (Brown 46), Dovey (Comford 72), Sysum, Wellon; Wilson (Maguire 61), Williams (A Jackson 71), Wood (Stanley 46), Green; Lee Smith (Slack 46), Lance Smith. Sub not used: Goddard.

Cheltenham Town (first half): Kitscha; Vaughan, Deaman, Rowe, Bowen; Kotwica, McCarthy (Munns 17), Hanks, Page; Williams, Dale. 

(second half): Phillips; Barthram, Downes, Parslow, McLennan; Storer, Pell, Munns; Waters, Wright, Morgan-Smith.

Referee: Kevin Morris.

Attendance: 523.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account