Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Cheltenham Town v Southport

15 August 2015

Full-time: Robins 3 Southport 0

Cheltenham Town picked up their first win of the season against Southport with a convincing 3-0 victory at the World of Smile Stadium.

However they didn't have things all their own way and had to work hard for the first victory, maintaining their unbeaten start to life back in the National League.

The hosts got off to a fast start, with Southport defenders Luke Foster and Matt Challoner doing well inside the box to deny Amari Morgan-Smith and Danny Wright in the first minute.
From the resulting Jack Munns' corner Aaron Downes' header just cleared the bar.

Cheltenham had much the better of the half, with Downes again rising highest to meet an eight minute  Munns' corner.This time his powerful header went straight at the Southport keeper.

The Robins' continued to attack, with Munns putting Billy Waters away down the left, only for his cutback to narrowly miss Morgan-Smith in the box.
Good work from Harry Pell and Jack Barthram down the right again provided a great crossing opportunity, but Barthram's cross was well deflected by a defender and away from danger.

Vice captain Kyle Storer tested Andy Coughlin in the Southport goal with a stinging long range strike, only for the keeper to save acrobatically.

Southport finally had their first shot on target in the 31st minute when midfielder Charlie Joyce fired straight at the keeper from 20 yards. 

Three minutes later, former Cheltenham loanee Louis Almond thought he had scored when his curled effort was birlliantly saved by Robins' keeper Dillion Phillips, who threw himself full stretched low to his right to push the ball away.
Downes had made a good tackle in the build up when it looked like Joyce was through on goal.

Cheltneham finished the first half much the stronger and could have taken a lead into half time. Munns' drive into the box ended in a tame shot straight at the keeper after he had skillfully beaten two defenders.

And then in first half injury time left back George McLennan made a good run down the left, and did well to cut the ball back to Billy Waters, who couldn't make good enough contact to threaten when six yards out.

The home side did finally break the deadlock, when captain Downes out jumped Courtney Cameron to head home a 51st minute Jack Munns corner. His first goal for the club.

Following that the hosts seemed to grow in confidence and had chances to double their lead. Morgan-Smith flashed his shot wide from a narrow angle.

Back came Southport with chances of their own. Almond's long range effort was just over the bar after uncertainty in the Cheltenham back line had given the ball away.
Substitute Jamie Allen then beat Daniel Parslow for pace and his cross just evaded Mike Phenix diving in in the middle.

Cheltenham then went up the other end and managed to double the lead in the 76th minute. Morgan-Smith scoring with a beautiful chip over the keeper from an acute angle and into the top corner following a great through ball from Jack Munns.

Amari then doubled his goal tally for the season with a second in the 82nd minute. Another Munns' corner found Downes at the back post. This time the captain headed back across goal and Morgan-Smith was the quickest to react, heading home from two yards out. 

In the end Cheltenham won easily, and deserved the flattering scoreline but they were made to work hard for their first win by a spirited and well organised Southport side.


Dillon Phillips
Jack Barthram, Aaron Downes (c), Danile Parslow, George McLennan (82, James Bowen)
Harry Pell, Kyle Storer, Jack Munns, Billy Waters(66, Asa Hall),
Amari Morgan-Smith, Danny Wright (83, Joshua Cooke)


Andy Coughlin
Matt Challoner, Josh Thompson, Luke Foster (c), Will Beesley
Courtney Cameron (57 Jamie Allen), Charlie Joyce, Gary Jones, Liam Nolan, Louis Almond
Mike Phenix (66, Connor McCarthy), 

Referee- Robert Whitton

Attendance- 2251 (107 away)

Advertisement block