Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Youth Thrash Swindon

24 March 2014

The Cheltenham Town youth team bounced back to victory this weekend.

Cheltenham Town’s Youth Team ended their three game losing streak with a 4-0 win over Swindon Town Youth Team at Seasons on Saturday.

A hat-trick either side of half time from striker Harry Williams and a goal straight from a corner from Adam Powell helped complete an impressive rout for Russell Milton’s team.

Although the game was eventually full of goals and chances at either end, the first half was somewhat of a slow burner with the away team enjoying most of the early chances. The first chance of the match fell to Swindon’s centre forward who got on the end of a dangerous cross but volleyed it straight at Harry Reynolds in the Cheltenham goal from close range. The early stages of the game were tense and nervy with neither team looking like breaking the deadlock. Even with Swindon’s number ten hitting the underside of the crossbar from just inside the box, the game desperately needed a goal.

And on the 31st minute Town got their goal. Left winger, Danny Reynolds drilled in an out swinging corner from the left side of the pitch and the ball was met in the air by Harry Williams rising high above his marker to head the ball into the Swindon Goal. 1-0 to Town. With the goal, Town began to relax on the ball and the midfield began to dominate. Adam Powell and John Dodd formed an impressive central partnership combining class and creativity with intricate passing to wingers Danny Reynolds and Jamal Lawrence.

The eventual man of the match Williams looked dangerous all game and eventually added to his first goal with a second from the spot on the 41st minute. The striker made his way into the box and after going past Swindon’s right back Williams was eventually brought down by the same player with a mistimed tackle, referee Simon Wales pointed to the spot. Williams went on to dispatch the penalty coolly into the bottom left corner. 2-0 to Town.

With the Robins looking comfortable approaching half time, striker Jamie Goodwin looked to add to Town’s tally with a resilient solo effort but a good save from Swindon’s keeper kept them in it at the half. At half time the Robins led by two goals to nil.

As the second half began, Town looked like the team on top and on the 50th minute Harry Williams completed his hat-trick. After a cross from the right it appeared the ball struck a Swindon defender’s hand in the box and, although harsh, referee Wales pointed to the spot again. The striker stepped up to the spot and hit it straight down the middle to make it 3-0 to the Robins.

Although pressure built from Swindon following changes from the bench, the game was wrapped up on the 85th minute. After John Dodd’s impressive volley was saved with an equally impressive stop, Adam Powell whipped in the resulting corner which flew straight in untouched into the Swindon goal, 4-0 to Town. Town went close twice in the final minutes from Jamal Lawrence and Harry Williams looking for his fourth, but the Robins saw out the game resulting in a 4-0 win.

Advertisement block