Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Full Time: Redditch 2, Robins 2

5 August 2014

Young Robins earn a draw with improved second half performance at The Valley.

Cheltenham Town's pre-season programme drew to a close with an incident-packed 2-2 draw at Redditch United.
Robins manager Mark Yates decided against involving some of his senior players, as he had suggested following Saturday's defeat at Kidderminster, and instead it was a young side that visited the Valley Stadium.
There were plenty of chances at both ends, a disallowed goal and a missed penalty as Cheltenham dragged themselves back from 2-0 down to draw the game.
Cheltenham had the game's first chance when Aam Powell saw a 25-yard free-kick touched over the bar by goalkeeper Brad Catlow and from the resulting James Bowen corner, Powell got up to head just over the crossbar.
At the other end, Ashley Sammons drove a free-kick just over the bar and Redditch began to grow in confidence as the half progressed. Bowen was forced to make a goal-saving tackle on Shepherd Muronbedzi and Reynolds clung onto a drive from Edwin Ahenkorah at the second attempt.
Summer signing Omari Sterling-James was making a return to the club where he spent last season but it was his mistake that gave the home side the lead on 38 minutes. Sterling-James was late into a tackle on Muronbedzi just inside the penalty area and Sammons drove in the spot kick.
Harry Williams shot just over following good work from Sterling-James down the right-hand side but Redditch were given another helping hand to increase their lead two minutes after the re-start.
Jack Deaman turned and laid a back-pass towards Reynolds but it was under-hit and striker Jermaine Hylton, who spent two weeks on trial at Cheltenham last month, nipped in to side-step Reynolds and score.
Redditch substitute George Carlisle got up well to meet a Sammons free-kick mid-way through the second half but his header went straight to Reynolds as the home side continued to look the more likely to score.
However, a neat piece of skill from Harry Williams brought Cheltenham back into the game on 66 minutes. Receiving a pass from Joe Hanks on the edge of the box, Williams turned one way then twisted back the other before guiding a slightly deflected shot beyond Catlow.
Redditch responded with left-back Joel Caines and Hylton drawing good saves from Reynolds but Cheltenham drew level with 15 minutes to go.
Adam Powell made and scored it by winning a midfield challenge against Muronbedzi and beating Catlow with a left foot shot from 25 yards that drifted just inside the goalkeeper's right hand post.
Two minutes later, Bobby Dale had a goal ruled out for offside when he touched in from close range after a Powell header had smacked the bar. Seconds after that, Hylton dragged a penalty wide after Bowen had been penalised for a foul on Ahenkorah.
Redditch substitute Ricardo Reid wasted two decent chances to put his team back in front during the closing stages and Joe Hanks got a last minute chance to win it but sent his 20-yard free-kick sailing over the bar.

REDDITCH UNITED (4-2-3-1): Catlow; Recci (Jones 72), Mutton, Scarr, Caines; Oshungbure (Reid 72), Loveridge (Carlisle 59); Ahenkorah, Sammons, Muronbedzi; Hylton

CHELTENHAM TOWN (4-2-3-1): Reynolds; Craddock, Deaman, Rowe, Bowen; Hanks, Powell; Sterling-James, Williams, Kotwica; Dale.

SUBS NOT USED: Tetek (Gk), Lawrence, Daly, Sheppard

Advertisement block