Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Northampton v. Cheltenham, 26.10.13

26 October 2013

Full Time: Cobblers 1, Robins 1

The Robins were held to a 1-1 draw against Northampton Town this afternoon at Sixfields Stadium.

Byron Harrison's ninth minute strike gave the visitors the lead in the opening stages.

The in form striker came close to doubling his advantage six minutes later as his header dropped just wide of goal.

But Luke Norris' strike just before half time cancelled out Harrison's 7th goal in all competitions this season and secured a point for the Cobblers.

Mark Yates made just two changes to the starting eleven following his sides 3-0 win against Morecambe in midweek.

Robins Captain, Russ  Penn, was reinstated to the line-up in place of Jermaine McGlashan who is rested after picking up a knock in the latter stages of Tuesday night's game.

And Byron Harrison returned in place of Cureton after scoring Cheltenham's third in that evening.

17 year old Harry Williams kept his place in the traveling squad to Northampton after making his senior debut and is on the bench alongside other youth team graduates, Zach Kotwica and Joe Hanks.

Craig Braham-Barrett rejoined the squad following a facial injury.

There was only the one change for Northampton as Lee Collins replaced Kevin Amankwaah. The left back limped off after just 15-minutes in their 3-2 away defeat at Rochdale.

It was a an even first half, both teams defending well, as Penn and Taylor dominated the midfield for the Robins.

Each side was limited to strikes from range, both Luke Norris and Russ Penn firing over the crossbar from 20-yards out.

It didn't take long for the visitors to break the deadlock as Byron Harrison continued his fine run of form.

Sido Jombati found Sam Deering with a ball down the line on the right wing and the former Barnet man got the better of the Cobblers defence. As he advanced into the box, Byron Harrison pulled away from his marker and it was far to simple to go wrong.

Deering's pull back fell neatly at the feat of Harrison who converted with ease from 10-yards out.

He was almost on hand to double the lead just after 15 minutes. Troy Brown had done well to lose his defender on the right wing and was able to pick out Harrison on the edge of the six yard box but his header dropped agonisingly past the far post.

The home side struggled to cement a place in the game as many of their passes into the final third went astray.

But as the game progressed, Deering and Taylor were both unsuccessful with efforts from range as the Cobblers did well to limit the Robins chances on goal.

It wasn't until the closing stages Northampton managed to get a foot hold in the match. There pressing in attack forced the Robins into a defencsive error that led to the equaliser.

Troy Brown and Keith Lowe collided with each other on the edge of the 18-yard box and Norris was on hand to capitalise.

The striker leveled the scoring after rounding an on-rushing Scott Brown, called into action for the first time.

That goal spurred the home side on for the final minutes of the half as former Robin, Darren Carter, came close to finding the top-right corner of goal, only to be denied by a fine save.

Half Time:
Northampton Town 1-1 Cheltenham Town

The second half was an end-to-end affair, with both sides creating plenty of opportunities to get the ball in the box, however for much of the half neither side were able to take advantage.

Byron Harrison was eager to double his tally for the match, mis-cueing a bicycle kick and powering wide an excellent cross from the right wing courtesy of Deering.

Chris Hackett had two decent chances to take the lead for the home side but couldn't keep his shot down on both occasions as his stikes rose over the bar and into the stands.

Selfless play from Deering twice unleashed the Robins in the 18-yard box. He first found Noble before later setting free Gornell but both resulting shots were easily smothered by Matt Duke, performing well between the sticks for the Cobblers.

Noble's free kick as the game drew on evaded the home defence and was met by Troy Brown at the back post, the defender did well to get a shot away but Duke was on hand to again deny the visitors in front of 312 visiting fans.

Gornell was desperate for a winner, he made his own space in the box after Cureton had latched onto Troy Brown's long ball. Cureton's pull back into the path of the scouser set up a fine strike only to again be denied by an inform Duke.

Both sides fought for the winner as the final whistle drew close but neither side were able to grasp the deciding goal.

Full Time:
Northampton Town 1-1 Cheltenham Town

Northampton Town FC (4-4-2): Duke (GK); Collins, Widdowson, Reid, Kouo- Doumbe; Hackett, Deegan (Tozer '61), Carter Morris (C); Dallas, Norris (Demontagnac '84).

Subs not used: McNamara (GK), Emerton, Toney, Harriott.

Cheltenham Town FC (4-4-2 Diamond): S. Brown (GK); Jombati, Low, T Brown, Richards; Noble (Cureton '74), Penn (C), Taylor, Deering; Harrison, Gornell.

Subs not used: Roberts (GK), Braham-Barrett, Hanks, H Williams, Kotwica, Cureton.

Referee: Mr. Martin Atkinson

Attendance: 4,033 (312 Cheltenham Fans)

Star Man: Jason Taylor

Advertisement block