Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Barnet v. Cheltenham, 23.3.13

23 March 2013

Full Time: Barnet 0, Robins 0

The Robins were held to a 0-0 draw at Underhill against Barnet in challenging conditions away from home this afternoon.

Heavy snowfall in London meant the pitch in Barnet had to pass two separate pitch inspections this morning before it was confirmed the fixture would be played.

Upon arrival at Underhill, it was evident the pitch had been severely affected by the weather. The surface appeared to be covered in more patches of snow and mud than the preferred green turf.

It was a tough game for both sides who like to keep the ball on the floor and play fluid, passing football. 

The first half began quite slowly. Cheltenham in their blue and black kit had the most of the opening 20 minutes playing down the infamous Barnet slope. They had plenty of possession in the final third of the pitch and quickly racked up the corner count but were unable to capitalise on their early good form.

The Robins' early pressure almost paid off when striker Paul Benson calmly brought the ball under control from a long ball, he had time on the edge of the box to place a shot goal bound but ultimately it was a weak effort that went wide of Barnet's goal.

Shortly after Russ Penn was to have another decent effort for the visitors but was unable to force Graham Stack into a save as his shot thundered wide.

Barnet had a strong spell in the middle of the first half but were unable to achieve anything in or around Cheltenham's box. Their best chance fell to Mark Byrne but his effort was well blocked by Robins centre back Steve Elliott.

Half Time: Barnet 0-0 Cheltenham Town

Five minutes into the second half Cheltenham came closest to taking the lead. Jermaine McGlashan advanced into the Barnet 18-yard box and hit the post with his cross come shot. 

Shortly after Barnet should have done much better with a chance on target. Oster and Nurse linked up well for the home side before laying the ball back to Mark Byrne who's shot was straight fired straight at Scott Brown.

John Oster had the crowd on their feet midway through the first half when his shot brushed the side netting as it flew past the Robins right upright. 

Moments later Sam Deering almost had the Cheltenham fans celebrating. Mohamed's pass found the midfield on the right wing who had time to cut inside and curl a left footed effort just wide of Graham Stack's upright.

The following phase of play sparked another chance for the visitors. Mohamed was able to find space on the edge of the Barnet 18-yard box but like Sam just before him could only curl his effort past the post. 

And as the game came to a close Barnet will have hoped ti have earned the winner. Curtis Weston's cross wasn't cleared by the Robins defence and Mark Byrne popped up again to fire a shot inches wide of goal.

Full Time: Barnet 0-0 Cheltenham Town

Barnet FC (4-3-3): Stack; Fuller, Flanagan, Stephens, Johnson; Byrne, Oster (Jenkins '85) Weston; Nurse, Crawford (Hyde '75), Gambin (De Silva '86).

Subs not used: Barnes, Brown, Kamdjo, Beattie.

Cheltenham Town FC (4-4-1-1): Brown; Jombati, Elliott, Hector, Jones; Mohamed, Pack, Penn (Taylor '67), McGlashan (Harrison '59); Deering; Benson (Harrad '71). 

Subs not used: Roberts, Lowe, Carter, Duffy.

Referee: Mr. Darren Drysdale

Attendance: 2,400 (242 away)

Robins' Star Man: Michael Hector

Advertisement block