Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Full Time: Robins 1-1 Cardiff

27 July 2013

The Robins hold Cardiff to a draw in their penultimate pre-season friendly.

Cheltenham Town held their own to earn a 1-1 draw against Cardiff City at the Abbey Business Stadium.

The Robins started brightly, taking the lead inside 10 minutes courtesy of Troy Brown's second pre-season goal.

However, they were forced to weather the storm for the remainder of the first half as the visitors grew into the game. Their seemingly inevitable equaliser came midway through the half as Kim Bo-Kyung became the first South Korean to score at the Abbey Business Stadium.

Troy Brown came closest in the second half to earning a win. His looping header was ruled out for off-side seven minutes after the restart.

The Robins next test is away from home against Kidderminster Harriers on Tuesday evening.

The Robins emerged from the tunnel in their new sky blue away kit, unveiled for the first time this afternoon.

Mark Yates retained a strong side. The Cheltenham manager made just one change from Tuesday evening's loss against Coventry City as Sam Deering came into the midfield in place of Jermain McGlashan.

All six of the Robins' summer signings featured in the starting line-up. Braham-Barrett, T. Brown, Richards, Vincent, Gornell and Cureton all kicked off.

The visitors weren't planning on taking the game lightly. Frazier Campbell, Craig Bellamy, Peter Whittingham and many more well known names all started for the newly promoted premier league side.

The home side weren't affected by that fact, Sido Jombatti quickly taking the ball around Craig Bellamy. In addition, there was plenty of intelligent passing play between Deering, Gornell and Cureton in the opening exchanges.

Cheltenham won the first corner of the game in the 10th minute and took the lead.

Steve Elliott flicked on summer signing Ashley Vincent's corner, into the path of Troy Brown. The new central defender was able to find the back of the net with ease, comfortably side footing the ball past Marshall into the Cardiff City goal.

Craig Bellamy and Frazier Campbell both came close for the visitors after the Robins took the lead.

Bellamy forced a strong diving save from Scott Brown before Campbell blazed over from 25-yards. Bellamy was in action soon after, unable to keep his curling effort from rising high over the LMI stand.

The Robins appeared to be doing everything right, Cardiff were controlling possession but Yates' men were strong in defence and intelligent on the ball.

An equaliser seemed somewhat inevitable, and came on the 26th minute.

Bellamy popped up on the right wing, straying from his primary role on the left had side. He ran square along the edge of the 18-yard box and his short pass teed up Kim's right footed shot that found the smallest of gaps between the diving Scott Brown and right hand upright.

Frazier Campbell had the ball in the net moments later, sliding the ball past a sprawling Scott Brown, only to be denied by a late off-side flag.

Troy Brown denied Campbell a certain goal, before the striker produced a superb through ball into the path of Connelly who put his shot wide of goal.

The visitor's were in control, but the Robins looked threatening on the break.

With 5 minutes left on the clock, Terry Gornell's powerful right footed shot forced an excellent save from distance.

It was a testing first half for the home side, Who dealt with a lot of pressure from the visitors.

But they were on the break again as the half came to a close, Richards and Vincent linking up in the final third, but unable to create a chance. 

Half Time: Cheltenham Town 1 - 1 Cardiff City

As the game restarted, Cardiff continued to pile on the pressure.

The visitor's record signing Andres Cornelius headed just over and Peter Whittingham saw his 25-yard free kick comfortably saved.

Troy Brown had the ball in the net for the second time, 7 minutes after the restart.

His close range, looping header over David Marshall rippled the back of the net. However, the linesman denied the chance of the Robins the lead, ruling the effort out for off-side.

It was a good spell of play from the home team as Sido Jombati's cross was volleyed wide by Ashley Vincent.

Plenty of substitutions midway through the second half stunted the progression of the game. The visitors had swapped all but two of their starting 11 by the 68th minute. And with 20 minutes remaining, McGlashan and Harrison replaced Vincent and Cureton respectively for the Robins.

Nicky Maynard fired well wide and Corenlius headed straight at Brown as the game started to regain its rythm.

Maynard was fouled by Braham-Barrett, who injured himself in the process forcing a third substitution for the Robins as Keith Lowe joined the action. The resulting free kick forced a strong save by Brown, parrying Cornelius's effort away from goal.

The home side battled on as the game came to a close. Finishing their trio of home friendlies with a solid performance, keeping out numerous Cardiff City attacks.

Full Time: Cheltenham Town 1 - 1 Cardiff City

The Robins next and final pre-season friendly is against Kidderminster Harriers on Tuesday at 7.45pm.

Cheltenham Town FC (4-4-2): S. Brown; Jombati, Elliott, T. Brown, Braham-Barrett (Lowe '80); Deering, Penn (c), Richards, Vincent (McGlashan '70); Gornell (Kotwica '87), Cureton (Harrison '70).

Subs not used: Roberts (GK), Jones, Hanks, Taylor, Kotwica.

Cardiff City FC (4-4-2): Marshall (GK); Conolly (Brayford '61), Hudson (McNaughton '61), Turner (Nugent '68), Taylor (Lappin '68); Whittingham (Ralls '68), Bo-Kyung (Conway '46), Mutch (Cowie '61), Noone (Smith '46); Bellamy (Maynard '46), Campbell (Cornelius '46).

Subs not used: Lewis (GK), O'Sullivan.

Referee: Simon Hooper

Attendance: 2,561 (1,524 away fans)

Star Man: Troy Brown

Advertisement block