Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Full-time: Cirencester 1, Robins 2

13 July 2013

Robins pick up second pre-season win at Cirencester Town

Cheltenham Town continued their preparations for the new season with another pre-season win, this time against Cirencester Town at the Corinium Stadium.

The Calor Gas League Division One South and West side offered more than Evesham United four days ago, presenting a stiffer test in sweltering conditions but boss Mark Yates will be satisfied with his side's progress. 

The Centurians at least found a goal of their own, the best one of the match, but in the end two first half goals by Jamie Cureton and Sam Deering proved enough to settle the contest.

Next up is Gloucester City, in seven days' time at the Abbey Business Stadium.

There was another chance for Josh Rees to impress in the centre of midfield and the Arsenal youth product started alongside Jason Taylor, the captain for the afternoon.

Danny O'Donnell, the former Barrow man, was once again paired with Steve Elliott in defence while Cureton started for the second match in succession.

Just as they did at the Jubilee Stadium on Tuesday evening, Jermaine McGlashan and Cureton combined to open the scoring with 11 minutes on the clock.

Sido Jombati found the winger out on the right, who took a touch and delivered an early ball for the for the new striker to glance home a header inside the left upright.

Cirencester were on terms 16 minutes later, Joe Shephard taking advantage of Elliott's error to move into the box, cut inside and curl home a lovely equaliser.

Deering however restored the lead only 60 seconds later, side-footing past goalkeeper Glyn Garner from 12 yards after Cureton's ball from the right.

Harrison and Cureton, on two occasions, found themselves in promising positions as the interval approached but both strikers wasted their chances to extend the lead.

As expected there were wholesale changes for the second half: Troy Brown (for Elliott), Keith Lowe (Billy Jones), Russ Penn (Taylor) and Joe Anyinsah (Cureton) were all sent on for the second period.

Striker Terry Gornell, Yates' latest acquisition, was handed his first action around the hour mark (for Harrison).

Yates also gave another chance to the trio of youth players who showed a lot of promise at Evesham in the week. 

Ed Williams (for Deering), Joe Hanks (for Jombati) and Zack Kotwica (McGlashan) took up their positions while Bobbie Dale joined them 10 minutes later, replacing Rees.

Meanwhile on the pitch McGlashan, Anyinsah and Gornell all missed opportunities while Lowe curled a 22-yard free kick inches past the post.

The home side thought they had nicked a draw with eight minutes remaining when Shane Bumphrey bundled home, but the flag was up.

CIRENCESTER TOWN (4-5-1): Garner; Anson ©, Henry (Bennett 62), Holland (Dunton 62), Beedon; Smith (Packer 62), Wells (Hooper 52), Mortimer-Jones (Bromley 62), Shephard (Johns 62), Davies (Bumphrey 62); Collier (Bevan 62). 

CHELTENHAM TOWN (4-4-2): Roberts; Jombati (Hanks 62), O'Donnell, Elliott (T Brown 46) (Lowe 46), Jones; McGlashan (Kotwica 62), Taylor © (Penn 46), Rees (Dale 73); Deering (Williams 62); Harrison (Gornell 62), Cureton (Anyinsah 46). Subs not used: S Brown.


Advertisement block