Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Cheltenham v. Burton, 3.8.13

3 August 2013

Full Time: Robins 2 - 2 Burton

Burton came back from a two goal deficit to earn a point at the Abbey Business Stadium on the opening day of Sky Bet LeagueTwo.

The visitors should have taken the lead with the opening minute when Alex MacDonald squandered an excellent chance, one-on-one with Scott Brown.

The Robins took the lead through Jamie Cureton as a long Scott Brown goal kick out foxed young Sunderland keeper Jordan Pickford. They doubled their lead through Byron Harrison who was able to slide his shot into an empty net, courtesy of a kind deflection.

Burton got a goal back before half time as Billy Kee converted from the penalty spot and Rory Delap earned a point for the visitors, pouncing on an easy opportunity in front of goal.

Mark Yates included five of his seven summer signings in his first starting 11 of Sky Bet League Two.

Troy Brown, Craig Braham-Barrett, Matt Richards, Terry Cornell and Jamie Cureton all made their debut's at 3pm this afternoon.

Fellow new faces featured on the bench, as Ashley Vincent returned for his first league game at Whaddon Road following his four year absence with Thursday's loan signing Ryan Inniss joining him.

Former Stoke City defender Rory Delap, infamous for his long throws, is the most noteworthy name in the visiting 11 making his debut for Burton. Sunderland youngster Jordan Pickford is another of their five new signings that started this afternoon.

The visiting fans rose to their feet within 14 seconds.

Alex McDonald broke through the Robins defence and should have been the first goalscorer in Sky Bet League Two.
However, one-on-one with Scott Brown, the visiting striker could only slide his shot wide of the Robins right post.

McGlashan and Craig Braham-Barrett were causing Burton sack fulls of problems on the left flank. The two left sided players created space on the wing, leaving Burton's right back Phil Edwards frustrated.

Three corners in quick succession taken by Richards troubled the Burton defence before Elliott headed wide from six yards.

The first Rory Delap throw in was greeted by a round of 'Here we go' by all in the press box. It was a throw in that ultimately dissapointed all expectant on-lookers.

The match was finely poised, the Robins looking slightly brighter.

This was somewhat aided by Jordan Pickford's questionable performance inbetween the sticks for the visitors.

The young Sunderland shot-stopper flapped at a Sam Deering cross as McGlashan threw himself at the ball and back post.

Again, Braham-Barrett and McGlashan were linking well on the wing. So much so, Adam Reed's frustration toppled over and earnt him a yellow card. The Burton midfielder clattered Braham-Barrett, making his first start in the football league, off the ball on the left side of midfield.

The referee leveled the situation moments later, issuing a yellow card to Terry Gornell, making his debut.

The new striker was judged to have dived inside the box.

Appeals around the ground for a penalty quickly turned to boos as the referee produced the second yellow card of the game. The general consensus being his over exhuberhant fall earnt him the yellow.

Burton weren't looking a bad outfit, but were unable to create another clear cut chance after MacDonald's effort in the opening minute.

Two Chris Hussey corners eventually came to nothing during a decent spell of play by the visitors.

Jordan Pickford was learning his trade the hard way, and was largely at fault for the opener.

Scott Brown's lengthy goal kick out foxed Pickford. The shot stopper misjudged the bounce and looked on in anguish as the ball looped over his head.

A backtracking Pickford was eventually able to claw the ball out of the air, but only into the path of Jamie Cureton who had the simple task of finding the back of the net from three yards out.

Cureton's goal inside 20 minutes was his first of the campaign but moments later he was leaving the pitch on stretcher.

In a last ditch attempt to prevent a goal, he was clattered by members of the Burton defence and left the field clutching his shoulder.

The Robins goalscorer was replaced by Byron Harrison, who added to the Robins goal tally.

McGlashan took it upon himself to test the inexperienced Pickford from range. His first attempt curled just wide and his second resulted in Harrison doubling the Robins goal tally.

McGlashan's shot from range again was blocked by Holness as Pickford dived to his left. The block fell kindly to Harrison who was able to slide the ball into an empty net.

Gornell shot from distance twice in quick succession, attempting to pile more misery onto the visiting side during the first half.

His first attempt was comfortably saved and Pickford did well to save his second, diving to his right.

Burton came into the game in the closing stages and halved the home sides lead before half time.

Rory Delap's long throw was punched clear by Scott Brown back into the defensive midfielders path. His cross back into the box hit the arm of Russ Penn as the Robins attempted to clear their lines.

The referee signalled to the spot, and the penalty was cooly converted by Billy Kee. The striker sliding his penalty underneath Scott Brown diving to his right.

Half Time: Cheltenham Town 2 - 1 Burton Albion

The visitors started the second half brightly, as Hussey scooped a left footed shot looping wide and Robbie Weir put a chance over the cross bar.

At the other end, McGlashan and Braham-Barrett were both involved.

McGlashan's shot was well blocked and Braham-Barrett was able to cut the ball back across the face of goal from the byline but to no avail.

Burton's equaliser was far too easy for the visitors, straight from a set piece.

MacDonald's corner straight into the middle of the box was comfortably turned in by Rory Delap.

The second half was less dramatic than the first, but still played host to plenty of opportunities.

Gornell shot wide for the Robins before McGlashan's scintillating run into the box was well stopped by substitute Matthew Palmer.

The sub was involved at the other end, forcing a comfortable save from Scott Brown despite having arguably better options available to his left.

Sam Deering came closest to scoring Cheltenham's third as he rattled the cross bar from 25-yards and Harrison saw his goalbound effort cleared off the line as the Robins searched for another.

But it was Burton who had the ball in the net for the final time.

Scott Brown saved once in a goalmouth scramble but was unable to keep out the rebound. Only for the referee to deny Burton a winner, ruling the goal out for an alleged shirt pulling offense.

As the game came to a close, Kotwica blazed over after snatching at a chance, set up by Richards. The youngster replaced Gornell to earn his first team debut.

Rory Delap's long throw troubled the Robins defence once again as Edwards headed just wide as the clock ticked over into final minute.

But it was Byron Harrison who would try to have the final say in the outcome of the game.

Under pressure on the penalty spot, he turned surrounded by Burton players and unleashed a shot straight at Pickford in the final action of the match.

Full Time: Cheltenham Town 2 - 2 Burton Albion

Cheltenham Town (4-4-2): S. Brown, Elliott, T. Brown, Braham-Barrett; Deering, Penn (c), Richards, McGlashan (Vincent); Cureton (Harrison), Gornell (Kotwica).

Subs Not Used: Roberts (GK) Lowe, Inniss, Taylor.

Burton Albion (4-4-2): Pickford; Edwards, Shaprs, Holness, McRory; Reed (Palmer) Weir, Delap, Hussey; MacDonald (Dyer), Kee (Knowles)

Subs Not Used: Lyness (GK), Phillips, Symes.

Referee: Fred Graham

Attendance: 3,189 (371 away)

Star Man: Craig Braham-Barrett

Advertisement block