Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy tickets
01 April 2024 Venue The Completely-Suzuki Stadium Attendance

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League One

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Reports

Report and reaction: Robins 1-2 Exeter City

1 April 2024

A late Exeter City penalty condemned the Robins to a frustrating 2-1 defeat on Easter Monday at the Completely-Suzuki Stadium.

Town took the lead six minutes into the second half after Ben Williams’ header found the bottom corner from a Sean Long cross.

But the Grecians hit back first through a Luke Harris strike that nestled in the bottom corner and then through Reece Cole’s late penalty.

“I’m not going to say a lot about the officials but the crowd let their feelings known of his performance,” said Darrell Clarke post-match.

“I'm very disappointed for my boys as I thought we were much better second half after changing things tactically.

“We looked a lot better team second half and we're disappointed not to come out with anything from the game.”

As the rain teemed down, it was the visitors who started the better as a mistake from Andy Smith allowed former Robin Mo Eisa through on goal but he saw his effort trickle wide of the far post.

The Grecians continued to come forward in worsening conditions as Harris drove inside from the right firing wide before Ryan Woods’ driven effort was acrobatically tipped over by Luke Southwood.

There was one chance of note for the Robins in the opening 45 as a dinked Liam Sercombe free-kick evaded Smith before Lewis Freestone couldn’t react quick enough to steer past Viljami Sinisalo.

After making a double substitution at the break, the Robins began the second half with a new lease of life and hit the front soon after.

A spell of sustained pressure on the Grecians’ goal eventually told as Long’s deep cross picked out Williams who stole in at the back post to find the bottom corner.

However, the lead only lasted five minutes as some quick football from the visitors saw them create an opening down the left that Harris took advantage of with a driven effort across Southwood.

Not to be deterred by the equaliser, the Robins pushed forward and somehow didn’t retake the lead in the 72nd minute after Joe Nuttall’s header was kept out by a combination of Sinisalo and the crossbar before Will Ferry's effort on the rebound was superbly blocked.

Moments later the incisive Jordan Thomas darted past a couple of defenders, not for the first time in the afternoon, but his ball across goal evaded the onrushing Robins’ forwards.

But with seconds of the 90 left the visitors were awarded a harsh penalty after Freestone’s handball. Substitute Cole duly stepped up and scored.

CHELTENHAM TOWN (3-5-2): Southwood; A. Smith, Davies (B. Williams 46), Freestone; Long (c), Sercombe (Bonds 74), Pett (Olayinka 62), Kinsella, Ferry (Harrop 74; Keena (Thomas 46), Nuttall. Subs not used: Pardington (Gk), Shepherd.

EXETER CITY (3-4-2-1): Sinisalo; Sweeney (c), Aimson, Hartridge; Niskanen, Woods, Carroll (Diabate 90), Wildschut (Harper 58); Aitchison (Cole 78), Harris; Eisa (Cox 58). Subs not used: MacDonald (Gk), Rankine, Alli.


ATTENDANCE: 5,657 (1,522 from Exeter)

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account