Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 12:00 (UK)

21 August 2020 Venue Ashton Gate Stadium Attendance

Kick off 12:00 (UK)

Bristol City
4 - 0
Cheltenham Town FC
Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Lineup will be displayed here shortly before the game

Advertisement block

Match Reports

Report: Bristol City 4-0 Cheltenham

21 August 2020

Sponsored by

Cheltenham Town suffered their first defeat of pre-season against a strong Bristol City side as a first half hat-trick from Nahki Wells helped them on their way to a 4-0 victory at Ashton Gate.

Andy Weimann added the fourth in what was a tough test for the Robins in Bristol against a team two divisions higher, as they played their third friendly of the week in preparation for the 2020/21 season which starts in September. 

Michael Duff handed goalkeeper Josh Griffiths his first start of pre-season after the West Brom loanee came off the bench for the final 30 minutes in Tuesday's victory at Stratford Town.

Other summer signings Liam Sercombe, Andy Williams and Lewis Freestone started as Matty Blair made his second appearance after training with the team during the week. 

Duff's side kept possession well against their Championship hosts inside the first five minutes but Dean Holden's team scored on their first attack one minute later through striker Nahki Wells.

The Bermudian international hit a powerful shot from the corner of the box through Freestone's legs and into the bottom corner, with Griffiths not seeing it until too late.

Wells fired over into the Atyeo Stand before another chance came his way in the 18th minute following Jay Dasilva's cut-back to Andy Weimann but Griffiths stood his ground to block the effort five yards out. 

Cheltenham had their first proper opening in the 27th minute as Ryan Broom threaded a clever pass into Blair who couldn't get a clean enough connection to nudge it past Daniel Bentley.

City doubled their lead right on the stroke of half-time as Wells put the finishing touch on Niclas Eliasson's through ball after the Swedish international neatly escaped his marker.

Wells completed his first half hat-trick less than a minute later firing in almost instantly following the restart, as Tyreeq Bakinson robbed the ball in the middle of the park.

The visitors had an excellent chance in the 53rd minute as Bristol City failed to clear a corner and Conor Thomas' placed attempt was headed off the line by Tomas Kalas.

Williams curled one over the crossbar before being withdrawn for Callum Ebanks on the hour mark, with Elliot Bonds coming on to make his debut for Blair at the same time. 

Bakinson played a wonderful through pass to Weimann in the 69th minute but the Austrian lost his footing after taking it around Griffiths and could only hit the side netting. 

Duff made five more changes in the last quarter of an hour to get more minutes into the legs of his squad and one of them in George Lloyd was close to finding Ebanks with a teasing cross. 

But Bristol City finally smashed in a fourth with two minutes to go as Weimann found the back of the net, lashing in from close-range. 

BRISTOL CITY: Bentley (GK), Dasilva, Baker, Kalas, Vyner, Hunt, Bakinson, Massengo, Eliasson, Weimann, Wells.

CHELTENHAM TOWN: Griffiths (GK), Raglan (Horton 75), Boyle, Freestone (Bowry 75), Blair (Bonds 59), Thomas (Lloyd 75), Broom, Sercombe (Clements 75), Hussey, May (Addai 75), Williams (Ebanks 59).

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account