Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

01 January 2018 Venue Lamex Stadium Attendance

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League Two

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Reports

REPORT: Stevenage 4-1 Robins

1 January 2018

Mo Eisa's 12th goal of the season wasn't enough to prevent Cheltenham Town from losing at Stevenage as the hosts came back from a goal down to seal three points on New Year's Day.

Eisa gave Cheltenham a very early lead after two minutes with a well taken individual goal but Matt Godden drew the hosts level before Tom Pett put Stevenage 2-1 up before half-time.

Despite striking the crossbar through Will Boyle and having two Danny Wright attempts cleared off the line, Danny Newton added a third and Tom Pett put the game to bed late on to ensure the Robins left empty handed.

Gary Johnson made one change to the team that started against Newport County as Kyle Storer came in for Jerell Sellars, who missed out due to a hamstring injury.

The Robins were in search of a first ever Football League victory at The Lamex Stadium and got off to the perfect start after just two minutes as Eisa took advantage of some lazy Stevenage defending to net his 12th of the season.

The Sudanese forward latched onto a Brian Graham through pass and after cutting back inside, he finished well into the bottom left hand corner to give the Robins a very early lead.

After two wayward attempts from Darren Sarll's side, Cheltenham looked to expose the hosts' shaky back-line once more as Eisa played Kevin Dawson in on goal but the Irishman stabbed wide when one on one with Joe Fryer.

The visitors were looking sharp as Eisa then set up Graham who looped a shot over the crossbar but were nearly caught out at the other end as Jamie Grimes lost the ball in the middle of his own half and Danny Newton surged into the box, but he was denied by Scott Flinders at the near post.

But Stevenage were level half way through the first half as Captain Ronnie Henry's deflected shot was saved by Flinders before Matt Godden squeezed the ball into the net from a tight angle.

Clearly feeling confident after his 13th goal of the season, Godden then beat Will Boyle on the other flank but his shot was comfortably gathered by Flinders as the hosts grew into the game after equalising.

Flinders was starting to become busy as Joe Martin's free-kick was flicked on but the Robins' keeper anticipated well to dive and catch the ball before Eisa fired wide at the other end.

Tom Pett was then brilliantly denied by Flinders but the 31-year-old was too slow to react to a Newton header moments later and Pett made amends by finishing into an empty net to give Boro the lead 11 minutes before half-time.

Danny Wright was introduced at the interval for Graham as Cheltenham sought to get back into the game and the forward very nearly scored twice in quick succession.

Eisa's teasing cross was headed back across goal by Wright but the ball was hooked off the line before his deflected cross on the by-line looped over Fryer and clipped the far post in a frantic spell of pressure from the Robins.

Godden then had two good chances for Stevenage in a very open start to the second period.

Eisa was then released into the box and after putting his marker on the floor, his powerful effort was superbly saved by Fryer as Johnson's side pushed for a leveller and came even closer when Will Boyle met Joe Morrell's corner, hitting the crossbar with a powerful header.

But Cheltenham were punished for not taking their chances as Newton drove forward into the box and his shot agonisingly deflected past Flinders to give Stevenage a two goal cushion in the 69th minute.

George Lloyd was introduced with 11 minutes to go for his first League Two appearance but Pett added a fourth with an accurate low finish in the 88th minute to complete a disappointing afternoon for Cheltenham.

STEVENAGE: Fryer (GK), Henry, Franks, King, Martin, Pett, McKee, Smith (Gorman 85), Kennedy, Godden (Gray 89), Newton (Samuel 75). Subs not used: Day (GK), Wilkinson, Wilmot, Whelpdale.

CHELTENHAM TOWN: Flinders (GK), Moore, Grimes, Boyle (Bower 79), Winchester, Dawson, Atangana, Storer (C) (Lloyd 79), Morrell, Graham (Wright 45), Eisa. Subs not used: Lovett (GK), Hinds.

REFEREE: Gavin Ward

ATTENDANCE: 1,989 (157 from Cheltenham)

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account