Skip to main content


21:38 21st February 2012

Full Time: Robins 0-0 Wimbledon

Cheltenham Town were left feeling frustrated after they played out a 0-0 draw with AFC Wimbledon.

A tight and scrappy first half failed to deliver any real opportunities for either side although Jeff Goulding came closest with a long ranged effort and a header over the bar from the corner. The second half had a lot more tempo but neither side could find the opening or winning goal. Kaid Mohamed came closest to winning the game but it seemed destined to be 0-0.

Frustration was the order of the night rather than pancakes but a point is a point and Cheltenham Town now look to pick up their home form against Burton Albion at the weekend.

Mark Yates made just one change to his starting XI that began the weekend's 5-0 victory over Dagenham & Redbridge. Jack Butland started inbetween the posts at the expense of Scott Brown following his return on loan from Birmingham City. There were not other changes for Cheltenham as they looked to take revenge on a 4-1 defeat earlier in the season.

Cheltenham Town were eager to continue where they left off against lowly Dagenham at the weekend against Terry Brown's Dons and it was the Robins that carved out the first real chance on goal when Jeff Goulding struck a 20 yard effort past the near post. AFC Wimbledon attempted to capitalise on an Alan Bennett mistake moments later but the Robins defence were alert enough to cancel out any effort on goal. It was an opening ten minutes set at a mellow pace but Goulding had another chance to open the scoring from the corner but his header was just over the bar.

Cheltenham were handed a central freekick position from a 25 yard position after Jeff Goulding was illegally held by Jamie Stuart and it was taken by Marlon Pack although the midfielder's effort didn't make it past the wall. Despite the missed opportunity, the pressure did continue from both sides but neither were able to transform an incredibuly even game into anything special within the first 30 minutes.

Alan Bennett was booked on 43 minutes after fouling Jolley on a Wimbledon counter attack following Cheltenham's own break. Kaid Mohamed broke away through the middle of the pitch but just to shoot from 20 tards rather than search for Josh Low on the right and the chance was wasted. This half continued to provide no real attacking quality and both teams went back down the tunnel to a 0-0 scoreline.

Half Time: Robins 0-0 AFC Wimbledon

The second period needed more commitment from the Robins and Russ Penn darted forward early on only to be clipped and fouled by Jack Midson. The striker was shown a yellow card but Summerfield's effort from the freekick was just over the bar. Cheltenham had another opportunity on 49 minutes to take the lead when Luke Garbutt's seaching cross found Penn inside the area but the midfielder could only find the grateful arms of Seb Brown with his shot.

An excellent spell of pressure from Cheltenham really seemed to lift the crowd but they still struggled to find that one bit of quality to finish an attacking move off though and AFC Wimbledon held on despite high pressure. Good opportunities for both Low and Penn threatened to put Mark Yates' men ahead but it seemed the Robins would need to hold their patience. After 72 minutes and a decent 30 yard effort from Marlon Pack it was time for Darryl Duffy and Jimmy Spencer to replace Josh Low and Jeff Goulding respectively.

AFC Wimbledon were managing to cope with each attack as it came but they almost grabbed a surprise lead when substitute Billy Knott struck a shot just wide of the far post providing a real warning to the Robins that they were still a threat on the attack. Keith Lowe was brought on after 82 minutes in an effort to push Jombati and Garbutt up the flanks and it almost paid off straight away when Garbutt's cross found the head of Spencer but the effort was tipped over by Seb Brown.

Attack after attack but Cheltenham could not find a way through. Keith Lowe looped an effort over the bar from the corner but again Wimbledon were able to breathe easy as they looked to close the game out for a stalemate. The best opportunity of the game did come however when Spencer's ball found Mohamed sneaking in behind the Wimbledon defence but the winger's left footed effort was dragged agonisingly wide of the far post.

This game reached it's final ebb with Cheltenham fully on top but the final whistle blew with a stalemate scoreline the final score.

Full Time: Robins 0-0 AFC Wimbledon

Cheltenham Town FC (4-5-1): Butland (GK); Jombati, Bennett (C), Elliott, Garbutt; Low (Duffy 72), Summerfield, Penn (Lowe 82), Pack, Mohamed; Goulding (Spencer 73)

Subs not used: Smikle, McGlashan

AFC Wimbledon (4-4-2 Diamond): Brown (GK); Hatton, Mitchel-King, Stuart (C), Bush; Jolley (McNaughton 74), Moore, Moncus, Yussuff; Midson, Euell (Knott 67)

Subs not used: Turner (GK), Hoyte, Harrison

Referee: Mr. Scott Mathieson

Attendance: 2,603 (207 from Wimbledon)

Robins Star Man:Russ Penn - Hard working performance from the midfielder that won plenty of possession. A real handful for AFC Wimbledon.

James Brown from the Abbey Business Stadium

Robins Player

    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.