Skip to main content


17:04 6th April 2012

Full-time: Cheltenham Town 2, Barnet 0

It may have taken ten hours and two minutes, but it was worth the wait.
Kaid Mohamed's tenth goal of the season ended his side's goal drought and nudged Cheltenham Town towards their first win in eight games at the Abbey Business Stadium.
Jimmy Spencer added the second a minute from time, making sure of the points ahead of Monday's tricky trip to promotion rivals Rotherham United.
The game seemed destined to end in stalemate, but manager Mark Yates's trio of substitutions made all the difference, all three playing a decisive role in this oh-so important success.
Both sides were desperate for a positive result to boost their standing at either end of the table, but the pair began the match nervously.
Cheltenham had passed the nine-hour of football without scoring and looked to have turned down a good shout for a penalty mid-way through the opening period.
However Clovis Kamdjo, a former Robins trialist, was adjudged not to have tripped Russ Penn, and shortly afterwards watched his header come back off the bar with his relegation-threatened side finishing the first half the stronger.
Barnet showed plenty of adventure throughout, and the Robins were indebted to Jack Butland for making a handful of crucial saves.
The north Londoners had already beaten Yates' side at the Abbey Business Stadium this term, 2-0 at the Johnstone's Paint Trophy quarter-final stage, but a reverse of that scoreline today keeps Cheltenham's promotion hopes very much alive.
Has Ken Dodd ever sounded so good?
Yates made three changes to his side, two of which were enforced through suspension following last week's disappointing defeat in Essex.
Sido Jombati's red card against Southend United earned the popular defender a three-match ban, ruling him out of this one and the forthcoming games against the Millers and Accrington Stanley.
Marlon Pack also missed out after collecting his tenth caution of the campaign in the drubbing at Roots Hall.
The midfielder's two-match ban means he'll also sit out Monday's visit to the Don Valley Stadium.
So in came Keith Lowe at right back and Steve MacLean in midfield while Josh Low, making his 100th league appearance for the club, replaced Mohamed on the right.
MacLean spearheaded a diamond formation in midfield, with Luke Summerfield shielding his centre halves.
Luke Garbutt's surging run created the home side's first attack of the match in the seventh minute, culminating in a Steve Elliott overhead kick.
A moment later Ben Burgess should have found the target from 12 yards, but instead blasted his shot into the 173 Barnet fans in the Hazlewoods Stand.
At the other end, Butland punched away Mark Byrne's 25-yard free-kick with 17 minutes on the clock.
The England Under-21 international held onto Jordan Mustoe's angled dead ball delivery five minutes later.
Penn had grounds for a penalty appeal mid-way through the first half when Kamdjo upended the midfielder in the corner of the box.
The referee however waved play on.
Then MacLean looked certain to score on the half hour when he went one-on-one with Dean Brill, the Barnet goalkeeper.
But the former Oldham Athletic shotstopper somehow clawed away the ball at the midfielder's feet before clearing to safety.
By this point Cheltenham had passed the nine-hour mark without registering a goal.
Barnet top scorer Izale McLeod, with 22 goals to his name, looked menacing down the left without bringing a save out of Butland.
He was making the most of an uncharacteristically nervous performance by Lowe at right back.
Kamdjo gave the home support a scare when he planted a header from Derring's inviting cross against the corner of the frame five minutes from the interval.
Fortunately from a Cheltenham perspective, the ball fell kindly for Butland who gathered ahead of McLeod.
Ricky Holmes drew an unconvincing save from Butland, then Mustoe vollied over as Barnet grew in confidence with the break approaching.
Duffy poked one wide immediately after the restart, and was soon causing more problems for Michael Hector when he chased down Garbutt's long ball on the edge of the box.
The Scot was bundled to the floor, drawing a foul 18 yards from goal for which centre half was carded.
Penn was then a whisker away from finding the top right-hand corner with the resulting free-kick.
Deering almost caught out Butland with a dipping effort five minutes later, the ball dropping inches over the bar.
Then Lowe made space for a long ranger just short of the hour which fizzed past Brill's left upright.
Yates made his first switch, replacing MacLean with McGlashan in the 59th minute and reverted to a flat four in midfield with Penn moving inside to partner Summerfield.
Next Duffy raced onto Summerfield's slide-rule ball but his heavy touch allowed Brill to narrow the angle.
Then Low tried his luck from 20 yards, but it was a comfortable save for the Barnet number one.
Butland produced the save of the match to deny McLeod from close range, diving to his right to instinctively push away the striker's header after a fine delivery by skipper Mark Hughes.
He dropped to smother Derring's low drive a moment or two later.
Duffy's last contribution was his best, calling Brill into a smart save at his near post with a low shot.
Yates then replaced the striker with Spencer, and sent on Mohamed in place of Low with 20 minutes remaining.
And boy it worked.
Ten minutes later they combined to make the breakthrough, quickly turning defence into attack to record an invaluable goal, their side's first in over ten hours of football.
Barnet had been awarded a corner on the right, but McLeod's misjudged header gave the home side the opportunity to break with pace down the right.
Mohamed skipped past a couple of defenders, swapped passes with McGlashan out on the right before steering a volley beyond Brill.
The move could not have lasted much longer than ten seconds, but it was decisive and gave Cheltenham a flimsy lead to defend for 15 minutes.
Barnet though had no answer and Spencer put the seal on the victory with a minute to play, latching onto Burgess's knock-down from Garbutt's free-kick to beat Brill to his left and make sure of the points.

CHELTENHAM TOWN: Butland; Lowe, Bennett (c), Ellliott, Garbutt; Penn, McLean (McGlashan 59), Summerfield, Low (Mohamed 70); Burgess, Duffy (Spencer 70). Subs not used: Smikle, Hooman.

BARNET: Brill; Kamdjo, Hector, Downing, Mustoe; Deering, Hughes (c), Byrne, Holmes; McLeod, May. Subs not used: McGleish, Yiadom, O'Brien (Gk), Saville, N'Diaye.

REFEREE: Mark Heywood

ATTENDANCE: 3,319 (173 from Barnet)

    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.