Skip to main content


17:05 28th April 2012

Full-time: Robins 3, Bradford City 1

Cheltenham Town assured themselves of a play-off place after coming from behind to defeat Bradford City at the Abbey Business Stadium.
It was a Jekyll and Hyde performance which at one point threatened to leave them needing a result at Plymouth Argyle next week.
There was nothing in Bradford's first half display to suggest the players had one eye on their summer holidays after securing another season in League Two with two successive wins coming into this one.
Nahki Wells handed his side a dream start, and created enough chances to extend the lead by the break but the Bradford striker was thwarted by another impressive display by Scott Brown in goal.
Whatever boss Mark Yates said to his players at the interval, it worked.
He had switched his formation approaching half time, and within a minute of the turnaround his side were back on terms through Jimmy Spencer's tenth strike of the season.
The Huddersfield Town loanee shortly added his second of the afternoon before Ben Burgess made sure of the result with a lovely goal with 20 minutes remaining.
With nearest rivals Crewe Alexandra and Oxford United losing, it turned out to be a good day for Cheltenham supporters.
And as a result next weekend's trip to Home Park is now academic.
The manager made three changes to the side which lost at Crewe Alexandra last weekend.
Club captain Alan Bennett returned after a minor hamstring injury, replacing Keith Lowe in defence.
Josh Low and Burgess were brought back into the side at the expense of Kaid Mohamed and Brian Smikle.
Yates had used Spencer as a lone striker at Gresty Road, but paired him with the Notts County loanee here.
The strike pair were deployed in front of a diamond midfield, with Luke Summerfield initially playing in the role behind the front two.
Bradford made the better start to the match and issued a fifth minute warning when Ricky Ravenhill watched his shot come back off the left upright.
But their bright opening was rewarded in the eighth minute when Wells burst down the right before applying an assured finish across Brown from the angle to hand the Bantams an early lead.
It was the worst possible start for the home side, who struggled to get a foothold in the game and were grateful to Brown for a string of impressive saves to keep his side in it.
He denied Wells a second goal from close range with an instinctive save after 18 minutes.
Then he dropped to prevent the Bradford front man taking advantage of an uncharacteristic mistake by Steve Elliott.
At the other end Bradford's shotstopper, Matt Duke, had nothing to do but to fish out Russ Penn and Summerfield's wild efforts into the Hazlewoods Stand.
Brown was then at his best to push away James Hanson's header ten minutes before the break, not that the Cheltenham number one had known the striker had been flagged offside as the cross came in from the right.
Boss Yates changed it around three minutes before the break, withdrawing Penn and sending on Mohamed.
He swapped the diamond midfield for a flat four, using Mohamed on the left and Low on the right.
It proved to be the game's turning point.
It almost paid dividends in first half injury time when the winger pulled a shot a foot wide of the left post with his first touch of the match.
However the mood inside Whaddon Road lifted within a minute of the restart when the substitute raced down the left, beating full back Simon Ramsden to cut it back for Spencer to steer home.
Almost immediately Brown produced another smart save, this time to deny Hanson from 20 yards.
The change in fortunes was dramatic, with Cheltenham forcing the visitors in a sustained spell of defending.
Next Elliott drew a comfortable save from Duke, while Mohamed saw a shot travel wide of the target.
But with 63 minutes on the clock, Cheltenham lead through Spencer's second of the match, his 11th of the campaign.
It was a fine goal, picking up Summerfield's pass, taking a touch and curling one into the top right-hand corner from over 20 yards.
The game had very much turned in the home side's favour, and the visitors' frustation bubbled over a moment later when Ravenhill nudged Marlon Pack in the back with his knee.
The Bradford skipper was subsequently carded, as was the Cheltenham midfielder for his reaction.
Hanson really should have found the target with a far post header with 25 minutes remaining, and he was made to pay six minutes later when Burgess extended the advantage.
The big striker took advantage of Guy Branston's mistake and produced a delicate lob from all of 25 yards to leave Duke stranded and record his second of the season.
Spencer should have notched his hatrick shortly afterwards, but the striker somehow lifted over Low's cross from the right.
Hanson met substitute Deane Smalley's cross from the right to loop a header onto the bar, while David Syers went close at the death, but Cheltenham had done enough in the second half to book their place in this season's play-offs.

CHELTENHAM TOWN (4-4-2): Brown; Jombati, Bennett (c), Elliott, Garbutt; Low (Lowe 90), Penn (Mohamed 42), Pack, Summerfield, Spencer (Duffy 90), Burgess. Subs not used: McGlashan, MacLean.

BRADFORD CITY (4-4-2): Duke; Ramsden, Oliver, Branston (Syers 77), Kozluk; Atkinson (Smalley 77), Jones (Bullock 55), Ravenhill (c), Reid; Wells, Hanson. Subs not used: McLaughlin (Gk), Baker.

REFEREE: Darren Drysdale

ATTENDANCE: 3,930 (356 from Bradford)

    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.